X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    R3 used to do series of programmes devoted to a single historic topic (I keep coming across "Third of Six Programmes" when compiling the Today's the Day posts): there's a whole six- (or eight-) part weekly series Music at the Chapel Royal that could be made by a truly "distinctive cultural Music radio station".
    Indeed. And if resources are being sent to a location why not make the most of the costs involved and get enough material for more than one programme? Actually I imagine they did, just didn't use it. I did feel at times that Joseph McHardy sounded a trifle irritated and I wondered if that was because of having to do 'soundbites' rather than proper explanations - but perhaps it's just his manner.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

There was a week-long (five programmes) Composers of the Week back in May, 2012, devoted to Music written for the Chapel Royal - a repeat of that series following this EMS might have given some evidence of "joined-up thinking" at the Beeb.

With Donald Macleod. Music from the 1520s by Cornysh, Damett, Fayrfax and King Henry VIII.

As it is, if you want something doing ...

If you have access to a friendly local Library (or deep pockets - I got my copy for under a fiver at a second-hand bookshop in Edinburgh! <slapthatsmuglookoffyourfaceemoticon>) then this is a good read:

EDIT: Amazon have paperback copies at £39 - still a bit breath-taking!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...and I'd just mention that Donald Burrows (refer to second link above) also published performing editions of William Crroft's canticles and anthems with instrumental accompaniment. (Croft was a boy and later organist+gentleman extraordinary of the Chapel Royal.) Whilst Croft was, of course, not in the same league as a composer, I believe his ceremonial works (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqcVwC0Ues) was a considerable influence on Handel's 'English' choral style.

Comment

Working...
        X