• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The music of ancient Greece: EMS 7 April

Lucie Skeaping talks to Prof Armand D'Angour of Jesus College Oxford about the music and poetry of ancient Greece, from Homer to Mesomedes via Sappho, Euripides, Pindar and Athenaeus.
    Lucie Skeaping talks to Prof Armand D'Angour about the music and poetry of ancient Greece.

Incidentally, the programme is available to Listen Now (18.42 Saturday 6 April)
    Lucie Skeaping talks to Prof Armand D'Angour about the music and poetry of ancient Greece.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

This is of some relevance?
    First choral performance with reconstructed aulos of reconstructed ancient scores of Athenaeus Paean (127 BC) and Euripides Orestes chorus (408 BC), with the...

There was a fascinating TV documentary a while back about ancient greek music, and the research into and recreation of the double flute, presented by Prof D'Angour, so I am looking forward to this EMS.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Fascinating odders. Barny (Barnaby Brown) was a choral scholar at Gonville and Caius...a rather traditional musical background one might think...but he was always fascinated by instruments from other cultures. Wasn't he great on the Youtube clip you posted up? Listening to today's EMS, I had a sense of deja vu (or should I say deja entendu?) In other words, was this programme a repeat?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

What I heard of the programme was very interesting. I recommend Listen Again.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Fascinating odders. Barny (Barnaby Brown) was a choral scholar at Gonville and Caius...a rather traditional musical background one might think...but he was always fascinated by instruments from other cultures. Wasn't he great on the Youtube clip you posted up? Listening to today's EMS, I had a sense of deja vu (or should I say deja entendu?) In other words, was this programme a repeat?
          So did I but I assumed that was because I had seen the TV programme.

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            In other words, was this programme a repeat?
            Yes, according to the programme webpage: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09pl81v First broadcast 28 January 2018.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Yes, according to the programme webpage: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09pl81v First broadcast 28 January 2018.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                That would explain it. No matter, well worth hearing again.

Comment

Working...
                X