• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Onwards and upwards

The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment performs with the concert grand.
    Brahms’s First Piano Concerto was reborn thanks to the OAE’s incisive playing and András Schiff’s characterful phrasing

Traitor.

[ed.] Maybe not quite but almost
    At its heart was the Blüthner grand piano, built in Leipzig at around the time of the work’s unhappy 1859 premiere,
    Last edited by doversoul1; 20-03-19, 22:41.
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment performs with the concert grand.
    Brahms’s First Piano Concerto was reborn thanks to the OAE’s incisive playing and András Schiff’s characterful phrasing

Traitor.
    The Daily Telegraph was even more laudatory; it loved the Schumann Concertstück, as well
    Last edited by edashtav; 20-03-19, 23:18. Reason: It's been Brynned

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Their next challenge will be to get to the continent for their St John Passion concerts the first week in April...

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        The Daily Telegraph was even more laudatory; it loved the Schumann Concertstück, as well
        I think Kettle was more on target. Both Schumann Symphonies and the two Brahms Concerti were considerably better performed, to my ears. Schiff's introductory talks for the concerti really hit the mark, too, even if the rationale offered for Brahms's "Benedictus . . . " inscription was somewhat different from the more commonly encountered suggestion that it related to the living Clara, rather than a departed Robert.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

It was meant to be sarcasm but never mind. If the music was good, that’s all that matter (huh ).

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I very much hope that an enterprising record company is going to record the Brahms piano concerti with these forces.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I very much hope that an enterprising record company is going to record the Brahms piano concerti with these forces.
              It's a little strange that though Schiff recorded the 1st concerto with fellow anglicised Hungarian knight, Georg Solti some 31 years ago (modern instruments), he has never recorded the 2nd. Since he and the OAE are touring the Schumann and Brahms works currently, it is indeed a shame that there is apparently no plan to record them for public release.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                It's a little strange that though Schiff recorded the 1st concerto with fellow anglicised Hungarian knight, Georg Solti some 31 years ago (modern instruments), he has never recorded the 2nd. Since he and the OAE are touring the Schumann and Brahms works currently, it is indeed a shame that there is apparently no plan to record them for public release.
                I would have thought that it would have been easy to market such a release, with such a well-known name as Schiff doing the honours. Still, what do I know of marketing these days?

Comment

Working...
                X