• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Frederick the Great: EMS 3 March

Florlegium's artistic director Ashley Solomon joins Hannah French to profile the life and music of their fellow Baroque flautist and great 18th Century patron of the arts, Frederick the Great of Prussia. Ahead of Florilegium's forthcoming concert at Wigmore Hall, which uses James R. Gaines' novel "A night in the palace of reason" as its inspiration, Ashley will be choosing some of his favourite pieces connected with Emperor Frederick, by composers like CPE Bach and JJ Quantz.
    Florilegium's Ashley Solomon looks at the life and music of Frederick the Great.

I don’t know about the novel but this EMS sounds unmissable.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    I don’t know about the novel
    Nor do I - there is a book by James R Gaines called An Evening in the Palace of Reason, but it isn't a novel, it's a study of JS Bach's visit to his son at the court of Frederic the Great, and the origins of The Musical Offering. It's very good - giving biographical information about Bach and Frederic (who had a terrible childhood and upbringing) - and the King's possible motives for setting "old Bach" so complicated a fugal subject - and has one of the best "layman's" guides to Canonic composition that I've ever encountered. I highly recommend it; it's spoiled only by some assinine comparisons with Mozart's Music, attempting to devalue the latter's achievement - but this takes only a couple of pages, which can be safely ignored to the book's improvement.

(So the Beeb blurb is probably yet another candidate for the "Surely you mean ... " Thread!)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Nor do I - there is a book by James R Gaines called An Evening in the Palace of Reason, but it isn't a novel, it's a study of JS Bach's visit to his son at the court of Frederic the Great, and the origins of The Musical Offering. It's very good - giving biographical information about Bach and Frederic (who had a terrible childhood and upbringing) - and the King's possible motives for setting "old Bach" so complicated a fugal subject - and has one of the best "layman's" guides to Canonic composition that I've ever encountered. I highly recommend it; it's spoiled only by some assinine comparisons with Mozart's Music, attempting to devalue the latter's achievement - but this takes only a couple of pages, which can be safely ignored to the book's improvement.

(So the Beeb blurb is probably yet another candidate for the "Surely you mean ... " Thread!)
      Thank you for the link. Just been ordered.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Enjoyable programme, especially with Ashley Solomon there.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Enjoyable programme, especially with Ashley Solomon there.
          Enjoyed it, but don't like the 'chatty' two-person format, which led Hannah into too much giggling for my taste. But top data on Fred the Great, JSB and CPE.

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Enjoyed it, but don't like the 'chatty' two-person format, which led Hannah into too much giggling for my taste. But top data on Fred the Great, JSB and CPE.
            yoof market - she sounded like a schoolgirl overawed by some celeb - but programme was better than usual - amused by the suggestion that CPE had set up the test for dad.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
              yoof market - she sounded like a schoolgirl overawed by some celeb - but programme was better than usual - amused by the suggestion that CPE had set up the test for dad.
              A bit harsh. Hannah French is a flute player herself and knows what she is talking about when it comes to early music. Whilst she was more giggly than usual, there was nothing non-musically personal in their conversation. If this appeals to yoof, well, good for her.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                A bit harsh. Hannah French is a flute player herself and knows what she is talking about when it comes to early music. Whilst she was more giggly than usual, there was nothing non-musically personal in their conversation. If this appeals to yoof, well, good for her.

Hannah clearly has a great intellect, and may find it a little difficult to be "chatty" on a level that will appeal to a broad range of listeners.

Comment

• Constantbee
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  there is a book by James R Gaines called An Evening in the Palace of Reason
                  Thanks for this, hadn't heard of it. If you prefer the more historical slant Tim Blanning's 2015 biography Frederick the Great: King of Prussia (ISBN: 9781846141829) is a good one.
                  And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

I was careful with my language!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

yoof market
                      I know this spelling is 'a thing': but I do find it an extraordinarily patronising expression.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

I know this spelling is 'a thing': but I do find it an extraordinarily patronising expression.
                        it's meant to be

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

I blame Janet Street-Porter.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

There may have been an element of that at play. He is after all a pretty big cheese in the world of flute playing.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

it's meant to be
                              And now Magenta Devine has died.

Comment

Working...
                              X