• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Johann Christoph Pepusch: EMS 3 February

German-born Johann Christoph Pepusch spent much of his career working in London, where he founded the Academy of Ancient Music and found fame with his music for John Gay’s “Beggar’s Opera”. Lucie Skeaping talks to Robert Rawson of Canterbury Christ Church University about the extraordinary life and music of this now-neglected 18th-century composer.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

An enjoyable and informative programme, made more immediate by having much of the music played by guest Robert Rawson's own 'Tickle Fiddle' band.
    However, most of us (probably) only think of Dr Pepusch...as Charles Burney referred to him....in connection with John Gay's Beggar's Opera. It appears Pepusch composed only the overture, but surely he must have acted as [the 18th C equivalent of] arranger and Director of Music? I was disappointed that EMS only devoted a very short bit at the end about it. It was a runaway success as a sometimes bawdy satire on current politics and on Italian opera, and as such maybe deserved a bit more attention? I do appreciate that the aim of the programme was to show there was more to Pepusch than The Beggar's Opera.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 03-02-19, 18:42.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

A very enjoyable and informative EMS, I thought. I, for one, had not heard of Pepusch before listening.*

OG

* But I have heard of Kafka

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          A very enjoyable and informative EMS, I thought. I, for one, had not heard of Pepusch before listening.*

OG

* But I have heard of Kafka
          ...and the muon?

Comment

Working...
          X