• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Fitzwilliam Collection: 27 January

The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge is home to priceless collection of manuscripts bequeathed to the university by the extraordinary 18th Century polymath, the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam. Harpsichordist Sophie Yates visits the museum to explore the life and legacy of Fitzwilliam, whose now-famous Virginal Book is considered to be the primary source for late Elizabethan and early Jacobean keyboard music.
    Sophie Yates is at the Fitzwilliam Museum exploring a priceless collection of manuscripts.

Repeat? Not that it matters. No EML this week.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The music collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I have a CD bought years ago from the Fitzwilliam museum of Martin Souter playing items from the Virginal Book on harpsichord(modern) organ(old, Knole) and clavichord(19thC Dolmetsch), so I'll be interested to hear the programme.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

This is well worth seeking out, too:

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

A very elegant as well as informative programme. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Me too! Especially enjoyed the chat about the Italian harpsichord at the Fitzwilly...and hearing it played. There used to be a piece by (or attrib to?) Paradies who was mentioned in the programme. It was his Toccata. I think George Malcolm made it quite famous...and I must admit I enjoyed hacking through it as a teenager, though not quite at this speed:

George Malcolm (Composer), Toccata (Composition Type), Pietro Domenico Paradisi (Composer), Paradies, Harpsichord, Clavecin, Cembalo, Gustav Leonhardt (Musical Artist), George Malcolm, Scott Ross (Musical Artist), Ton Koopman (Musical Artist), Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Domenico Scarlatti (Composer), Jean-Philippe Rameau (Composer), Couperin, George Frideric Handel (Composer)

My, how the style of playing has changed, not to mention the instruments.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I have both of those volumes of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Books. Quite a joy to play!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                A very elegant as well as informative programme. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great to hear an expert and enthusiast conveying their expertise enthusiastically!

OG

Comment

Working...
                X