• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Alessandro Scarlatti in Rome: EMS 13 January

Sicilian-born composer Alessandro Scarlatti had a love/hate relationship with the city of Rome. In the early part of his career, he was employed there by the self-exiled Queen Christina of Sweden, and he returned to the city for the last six years of his life, composing some of his finest work there. Lucie Skeaping explores Scarlatti's Roman years and some of the music he produced during his time in the Italian capital
    Lucie Skeaping explores Alessandro Scarlatti’s relationship with the city of Rome.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I caught the last part of the programme...a thirty-year-old recording of the Gloria from The St Cecilia Mass/St John's CC/George Guest. All a bit un-HIPP to modern ears, but the choir sounded good. Oh dear, one of the soprano soloists was unbearable [sorry whoever it was]. I have the CD in my big box-set of SJC, but I'm not sure it'll get a spin that often. (So many other delights in there.) Look forward to catching up on the rest of the progamme.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

...which I've now done. Mostly arias from operas and cantatas, sung by excellent soporanos! Plus some interesting...if brief....biog details from LS.
      Last edited by ardcarp; 13-01-19, 23:46.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I enjoyed it but the programme seemed to be somewhat a missed opportunity. The vocal works in the first half were all rather similar and filling the rest of the programme with one work and of a performance, to me, not quite the best representation of the composer’s music seemed a bit odd. I like the Early Music Show because it introduces me to a whole lot of bits and pieces of music which I my never come across in my listening rather than sitting back and listen to an entire work.

One of my very favourites:

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it but the programme seemed to be somewhat a missed opportunity. The vocal works in the first half were all rather similar and filling the rest of the programme with one work and of a performance, to me, not quite the best representation of the composer’s music seemed a bit odd.
          I absolutely agree dovers. You have crystallised my own thoughts about the programme. I wonder if Lucie was taking it easy this week?

Comment

Working...
          X