• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Music from the Royal Collection: EMS 11February

Lucie Skeaping presents a concert recorded at Windsor Castle with flautist Ashley Solomon, double-bass player Chi-chi Nwanoku and harpsichordist Julian Perkins performing on three instruments held in the Royal Collection. This episode is part of the BBC's Royal Collection Season.
    A concert from Windsor Castle using instruments held in the Royal Collection.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I enjoyed this programme. Engaging and articulate participants, and interesting music to illustrate the instruments. Would have made a good TV programme - to go with the others that have recently been aired about the royal collections - but I don't suppose anyone thought of that.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it very much too. Rather brave of all three performers to play unfamiliar instruments. (I wonder how much time they were allowed at Windsor to practise on them? I don't suppose they could take them home...especially not with Chi-chi's habit of leaving things on trains!)

I had to swallow my Republican tendencies rather firmly...all this grandeur in the hands of the few.....but once over that, it was a great programme, and one which the audience, judging by their warm applause, enjoyed too. As Lucie pointed out, no Royals present.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I enjoyed it very much too. Rather brave of all three performers to play unfamiliar instruments. (I wonder how much time they were allowed at Windsor to practise on them? I don't suppose they could take them home...especially not with Chi-chi's habit of leaving things on trains!)

I had to swallow my Republican tendencies rather firmly...all this grandeur in the hands of the few.....but once over that, it was a great programme, and one which the audience, judging by their warm applause, enjoyed too. As Lucie pointed out, no Royals present.
        Isn't it a bit unfair on Chi-chi? A one-off memory mistake isn't exactly a 'habit' is it?

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Yes, it was most enjoyable. And the double base. What extraordinary sound!!

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

isn't it a bit unfair on Chi-chi? A one-off memory mistake isn't exactly a 'habit' is it?
            Of course, but I didn't mean her any disrespect. She was being good-humoured about the incident on the radio this morning and it was in that spirit that I mentioned it.

Yes, it was most enjoyable. And the double bass. What extraordinary sound!!
            Yes. When she was playing the bass line of the Handel Flute Sonata I thought, 'Blimey that's at cello pitch...she must be darting around her top string with super-human dexterity', but as she explained later, the royal 'double bass' was really different from modern basses as it was strung to play at written pitch, i.e. more in the cello register.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              Lucie Skeaping presents a concert recorded at Windsor Castle with flautist Ashley Solomon, double-bass player Chi-chi Nwanoku and harpsichordist Julian Perkins performing on three instruments held in the Royal Collection. This episode is part of the BBC's Royal Collection Season.
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09r3qj1
              A jolly good programme. EMS does this sort of thing very well.

Comment

Working...
              X