• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

24 Violons du Roi: EMS 14 January

Hannah French with music and stories from Les vingt-quatre violons du Roi - an ensemble based at the French court of Versailles but renowned throughout Europe during the 17th Century, with music by Lully, Rebel, Delalande, Boesset, Aubert, Dumanoir and many others.
    Hannah French with music for Les 24 violons du Roi - famed throughout 17th-century Europe.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Lully subsequently added flutes and other winds to this band and created the forerunner of the Modern Orchestra

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Just enjoyed EMS and Hannah French's guide to the Vingt-Quatre Violons du Roi. I think a lot of the examples were played by rater less than 24, such are the economics of small professional ensembles!

I was waiting to hear Pelham Humfrey mentioned. Did I miss it? Was it not he who, as a young man, was sent by Charles II's Chapel Royal to study in Paris? Was he not the main bearer of 'the French manner' of composition to Charles's Court and Chapel, and who taught Henry Purcell? Even Pepys describes him on his return to England:

Little Pelham Humphreys is an absolute monsieur as full of form and confidence and vanity....

One more niggle about the programme. I thought the fading of Lully's Te Deum as Hannah began to speak was very un-radio 3, and not in the best EMS tradition!

Most interested to hear how the 24 played from memory, hence one reason why so little of their actual repertoire survives. Hannah said that often, the violin parts were jotted down 'in shorthand violin notation'. I have not come across this before. Was it a sort of tablature? I'd be glad to hear if antone knows.

Sad that in 1820 most of the part-books of the players in Loius' Court were sold for the value of their paper and bindings. What an act of vandalism! But I suppose Revolution was in the air.

Comment

Working...
      X