• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Exaudi on EMS Sun 8th Oct

Exaudi is surely one of the most versatile choirs around at the moment. It is possibly surprising to hear them featured on EMS as they are often associated with difficult contemporary music. But they also have a strong suit in Renaissance Italy.

Performer Profile - Exaudi
    The Early Music Show

Fiona Talkington profiles the choir Exaudi in conversation with their director James Weeks, including highlights from their 15th-anniversary concert at Wigmore Hall earlier this year and a programme from the Aldeburgh Festival entitled Chromatic Renaissance. Music by Vicentino, Rore, Marenzio, Wert and Monteverdi.
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Very much looking forward to listening to this.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Anyone tuning in half way through the programme and hearing some (phenomenally difficult-to-sing Finnissy) might have wondered if they had pressed the wrong button! But no, this was EMS and Exaudi mainly performed some amazing works from 16th century Italy. Especially surprising from this period was a 'microtonal' piece by Vicentino. Again, had one not been prepared for this, one might have supposed the singers' tuning to be at fault. The rest of the repertoire proved otherwise, and IMHO the performances of madrigals by de Rore, Marenzio, de Wert and Monteverdi were absolutely fantastic. One could sense the musical intelligence of the singers. Each one seemed to bear a huge responsibility and commitment to each piece. A thoroughly enjoyable hour with eloquent contributions from James Weeks, Exaudi's director.

Fiona Talkington profiles the choir Exaudi and talks to director James Weeks.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Yes, it was very enjoyable and the programme was packed with most interesting information. So much so that I shall have to listen again to digest it, especially the bit about microtonal composition. As for the performance, I thought they could have been a little bit less intelligent and more passionate in some works but that’s just me. On the whole, I thought they were excellent. I find the Finnissy’s work amazing but can’t say I enjoyed it although I was glad I had a chance to hear it.

Not many composers are interested in writing 21st Century Italian madrigals, said James Weeks. I wonder why that is.
        Last edited by doversoul1; 28-10-17, 09:34. Reason: typo

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Exaudi is one of my favourite groups. Wonderfully clean music that purifies the auditory channels.

James Weeks is clearly a very gifted person. But....how elitist can you get!!
          Last edited by Quarky; 27-10-17, 21:08.

Comment

Working...
          X