• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Schmelzer, Muffat and more: EML 26 February

Simon Heighes introduces music performed by Concentus Musicus Wien, in a concert performed last summer at the Stockholm Early Music Festival.

Concentus Musicus Wien is one of the most successful early music ensembles worldwide, founded in 1953 by the late Nikolaus Harnoncourt. In this concert, the ensemble presents works by Baroque composers active in Austria

Johann Heinrich Schmelzer (~1623-1680) Lamento sopra la morte di Ferdinandi III a 4 (1657)
    Die Fechtschule, ballet in G a 4
    Romanus Weichlein (1652-1706) Sonata I in C
    Georg Muffat (1653-1704) Sonata II in G minor
    Johann Joseph Fux (1660-1741) Serenade in C a 8.

Looks promising.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Looks promising.
    Absolutely! That was the sort of repertoire they first became known for - I know all of those pieces fomr their earlier recordings. Looking forward to hearing how they do them half a century later.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I thought this was a very classy performance and most enjoyable concert. I particularly enjoyed Romanus Weichlein’s Sonata I in C.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

I would love to hear more by these Composers. I am listening to Biber's Rosary Sonatas with Rachel Podger as I type this. Inexhaustible invention!

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I would love to hear more by these Composers. I am listening to Biber's Rosary Sonatas with Rachel Podger as I type this. Inexhaustible invention!
          Come and join What Baroque and Early Music Are You Listening To thread on Talking about Music. You may regret that you’ve ever thought about it
          Last edited by doversoul1; 01-03-17, 11:56.

Comment

Working...
          X