• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Cipriano de Rore: EMS 7 August

Hannah French presents a profile of the hugely influential Flemish composer Cipriano de Rore, marking the 500th anniversary of his birth this year. The programme includes recordings by Bruce Dickey, The Huelgas Ensemble, The Tallis Scholars, the Brabant Ensembleand Cinquecento Renaissance Vokal
    Hannah French presents a profile of the influential Flemish composer Cipriano de Rore.

Some line-up of performers.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I recall an old L'Oiseau Lyre LP of this composer from The Consort of Musicke - it was the first time I'd heard of him.

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

A lovely 7 part motet of his here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlj8yr-QCO4

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

He wrote a very fine Mass setting based on Josquin's (also very fine) motet Praeter rerum seriem.

This album won the Gramophone Early Music Award in 1994. It was the first recording to feature an extensive selection of Rore's sacred music.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I have just heard Hannah French talking over the music! Lucie never does that!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
            I have just heard Hannah French talking over the music! Lucie never does that!
            That may be the producer's input rather than the presenter. The programme is recorded.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Whatever the reason or the cause was, the talking over really did grate. I almost hope that it was an editorial error. This shouldn’t have happened on Early Music Show.

There was an awful lot of information but I’m afraid nothing much has stayed in my mind. I know it is unfair to say Lucie (and Catherine Boot) would or wouldn’t do this or that but I think this was because Hannah French provided us with information whereas Lucie would have told us a story.

Also HF read the script with more or less in completely mono-tone, as if trying to get through without making a mistake. (although I assume it was her own script). Maybe she can try to talk (read as if talking, that is) rather than read through the script next time she presents the programme.

Still, I very much enjoyed the music.

[ed.] This is just me. I’m no good at taking in information when it’s read out to me. Also, I would like Early Music Show to be more than informative.
              Last edited by doversoul1; 07-08-16, 22:52.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

As a listener and new-comer to Early Music, my only complaint is that it was only 45 minutes long. Brilliant music and many thanks for the added value links in this thread.

The presentation was to the point, at least.

Comment

Working...
                X