• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Flanders Recorder Quartet 22.5.16

Message from ds, having difficulty with her internet connection, recommending today's EMS:

I think today's Early Music Show
    deserves attention. It does not look at all interesting from the description
    on the schedule; Recorder Quartet. In practice, there were quite a lot of
    interesting historical/musical talks and tidbits which balanced out the
    possibly rather unexciting sound of recorders (if it had filled an entire
    programme). The composers of the music played were mostly unfamiliar which
    was interesting, too.

Hannah French presents highlights of a concert given by the Flanders Recorder Quartet at The Frick Collection in New York, including music by JS Bach, Hugh Ashton, Tielman Susato and Joseph de Boismortier. Hannah also talks to artistic director Joyce Bodig about the museum's long-standing series of chamber music concerts and talks to chief curator Xavier Salomon about some of the works of art in the collection.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I enjoyed this very much. Fantastic and virtuosic playing.

Hannah French presents the Flanders Recorder Quartet performing at the Frick Collection.

The programme started off in 'Medieval Anon' (David Munrow-) style, with a lively monody plus percussion.

Following on was a 'fragment' by Hugh Ashton, a little-known Tudor composer; a polyphonic piece based on a ground (though this was not said).

Next, a Magnificat setting by Agricola, one of those where only the first word of each verse was sung to plainsong (2nd tone), the rest realised instrumentally. (Was this a transcription of an 'Organ Magnificat'?) Lovely light dancing rhythms here...a delight.

A suite by Sarasate followed, and the programme ended with a transcription of Bach's organ Passcaglia in C minor, beautifully played.

You will gather from the above that there was/is no playlist. Why??? Neither were the pieces adequately described during the programme. This is something he EMS needs to brush up on. Nobody wants too much talking, but listeners to the programme generally have an interest in the subject that needs to be catered for

If anyone can find a playlist, then I apologise

Comment

• Rue Dubac
      • Mar 2013

I enjoyed the music, but found the presenter gabbled and at times seemed to swallow the ends of sentences. She also referred to Bach's "infamous" 200 mile walk to visit Buxtehude. What was infamous about it? Or did she mean famous?

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Thanks to his thread, I switched this programme back on. It may have been politic to discuss the paintings at the beginning, but it gave me a misleading impression of the programme, and of Hannah French.

Most R3 programmes are content just to focus on the music in hand.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I didn't mind the Frick Collection bits, and there was a fair amount of music played, but I agree the balance of Hannah's attention seemed more focused on the museum and its curators than on the music and its composers.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            and the programme ended with a transcription of Bach's organ Passcaglia in C minor, beautifully played.
            Though - listening to the programme in the car - I was distracted by a sort of arrhthmic knocking or tapping during this piece, and concerned that it might be my car. I was hoping Hannah would explain.... But yes an interesting programme.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Though - listening to the programme in the car - I was distracted by a sort of arrhthmic knocking or tapping during this piece, and concerned that it might be my car. I was hoping Hannah would explain.... But yes an interesting programme.
              Might have been instrument keys? As recorders are quiet compared to orchestral woodwind the noise of keys on the bass instruments is more in evidence.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Aaaah! thanks! Like squeaky lute strings.

Comment

Working...
                X