Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Early Music Proms

Proms Chamber Music 5: Fretwork and Stile Antico
    Monday 15 Aug
    13:00 2016 Cadogan Hall
    William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons, Robert Johnson, Thomas Morley, Robert Ramsey,
    John Wilbye
    Two of the most exciting early music groups around – viol consort Fretwork and vocal ensemble Stile Antico – team up for an hour of Renaissance and Baroque music at Cadogan Hall.

Thursday 1 Sep 2016 Prom 63: Bach – Mass in B minor
    19:30 Royal Albert Hall
    William Christie, Les Arts Florissants
    Les Arts Florissants brings J. S. Bach’s magnificent Mass in B minor to the Proms. William Christie conducts a cast of soloists including soprano Katherine Watson, counter-tenor Tim Mead, tenor Reinoud van Mechelen and baritone André Morsch.

Thursday 8 September Proms 73
    22:15 Royal Albert Hall
    Handel, Muffat, Purcel, JS Bach
    Richard Egarr conducts the Academy of Ancient Music
    In this Late Night Prom, Richard Egarr conducts the Academy of Ancient Music in Handel’s glorious Coronation Anthems – the most famous of which is ‘Zadok the Priest’.

Well, that’s it.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Monday 15 Aug
    John Wilbye
    Two of the most exciting early music groups around – viol consort Fretwork and vocal ensemble Stile Antico – team up for an hour of Renaissance and Baroque music at Cadogan Hall.

Les Arts Florissants brings J. S. Bach’s magnificent Mass in B minor to the Proms. William Christie conducts a cast of soloists including soprano Katherine Watson, counter-tenor Tim Mead, tenor Reinoud van Mechelen and baritone André Morsch.

In this Late Night Prom, Richard Egarr conducts the Academy of Ancient Music in Handel’s glorious Coronation Anthems – the most famous of which is ‘Zadok the Priest’.

Well, that’s it.
    Thanks doversoul. A bit disappointing, really.

I have the Egarr & AAM in my Proms Planner, which is fine for an early music novice like me, but for people who are into Baroque and Early, this won't be very interesting.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Thanks doversoul. A bit disappointing, really.

I have the Egarr & AAM in my Proms Planner, which is fine for an early music novice like me, but for people who are into Baroque and Early, this won't be very interesting.
      'A bit disappointing' is an understatement!

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

You're right...the same old composers and works, except for the Stile Antico concert which looks interesting. I am currently collecting all their discs, some of which are simply stunning.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          'A bit disappointing' is an understatement!

I've always been rubbish at understatement - maybe I'm accidentally getting the hang of it!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

In my eagerness to see what New Music is on offer in this year's Season, I hadn't noticed that there's only THREE concerts of Music written before 1750! I think that that's appalling; utterly appalling.

But, to be positive, all three look excellent
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• CallMePaul
              • Jan 2014

Hopefully the B minor mass will this time be performed withouit an interval and the audience will be asked to refrain from applause until the end of the work! Whether this happens or not, I expect a very different performance from Les Arts Florissants thasn the recent Bach collegium Japan one. This should be worth listening to, and I am also looking forward to the Stile Antico/ Fretwork Proms Chamber Music. I haven't yet seen the full programme for this but I hope that the performers have noticed the date and will include music appropriate for the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Those are the concerts dedicated to earlier works - there is more Bach in mixed concerts. But, yes, the emphasis has (numerically) been on new music/composers, though it doesn't look as if they're exciting much enthusiasm in the expected quarters
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, a weak programme for early music - no Corelli, Rameau or Gluck not to mention less familiar names.

And since Haydn has featured in early music discussions here, he has fared badly yet again - only one, early, symphony and the Trumpet Concerto only getting its third movement played in "starter" Proms. And it's not clear if the Paukenmesse is being played complete or merely in an extract (timing is shown as "4 mins").

Btw - should this thread be included in the main Proms 2016 board ("All matters Proms")?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                    Hopefully the B minor mass will this time be performed withouit an interval and the audience will be asked to refrain from applause until the end of the work! Whether this happens or not, I expect a very different performance from Les Arts Florissants thasn the recent Bach collegium Japan one. This should be worth listening to, and I am also looking forward to the Stile Antico/ Fretwork Proms Chamber Music. I haven't yet seen the full programme for this but I hope that the performers have noticed the date and will include music appropriate for the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
                    If we can't clap and whoop between movements, never mind the interval (!), I'm not going!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                      The guide tells us that there will be no interval in the B minor mass concert.

Stile Antico are going for a Shakesperian rather than Marian theme.
                      Does Morley's It was a lover and his lass cover both, though?
                      Perhaps Nico Muhly's Gentle sleep is more appropriate for the Feast of the Assumption?

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Not To Be Missed!

This looks an excellent concert. Why are Blow, Locke and Draghi not listen in the Composer list?

15:00 Saturday 13 Aug 2016
                        Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, Shakespeare's Globe

Katherine Watson soprano
                        Samuel Boden tenor
                        Callum Thorpe bass
                        Arcangelo
                        Jonathan Cohen harpsichord/organ/director

This performance offers a chance to get up close with leading performers and Jonathan Cohen’s crack Baroque ensemble, Arcangelo, which makes its Proms debut in works by Purcell, Blow, Locke and Draghi – including music for Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
                        Jonathan Cohen directs a concert of early vocal music inspired by the works of Shakespeare, who died 400 years ago this year. The programme includes music by Purcell, Blow, Locke and Draghi.

[ed.] Does this Prom have a second performance? There is no mention of the repeated performance.
                        20:00 Saturday 13 Aug 2016
                        Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, Shakespeare's Globe
                        Jonathan Cohen directs a concert of early vocal music inspired by the works of Shakespeare, who died 400 years ago this year. The programme includes music by Purcell, Blow, Locke and Draghi.
                        Last edited by doversoul1; 15-04-16, 21:04.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                          Monday 15 Aug
                          John Wilbye

Well, that’s it.
                          Yeah, but....yeah, but, if you want serious cream, that's it!

Comment

Working...
                          X