• Nov 2010

Handel - The Sixteen

I'm just duplicating this:

...as it's tonight on Radio 3 at 7.30.

Hope you don't mind, dovers.
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

I’d forgotten what a large force The Sixteen was. It sounded more like The Thirty-two. I wasn’t too impressed by some of the solos but enjoyed the concert. I do like Dixit Dominus. Pity Handel didn’t stay in Italy and composed more of those glorious Italian works

I posted my first post on The Performance, as there was a complaint when I posted a similar evening concert on The EMS. Much better here.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

The Sixteen is not always 16, as I am sure you know. It may have have been closer to 20 for this concert, possibly a couple of extra Sop's and Basses. In any case, signing properly (good breath support, especially) will create the impression of more voices in choral ensembles. So far, I can't find any fault with the soloists, quite the opposite, actually, and considering that they are members of the choir, even better.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nevilevelis View Post
        In any case, signing properly (good breath support, especially) will create the impression of more voices in choral ensembles.
        It certainly did and I imagine the venue added the effect?

So far, I can't find any fault with the soloists, quite the opposite, actually, and considering that they are members of the choir, even better.
        I wouldn’t say there was any fault in the soloists. It’s just my taste (or ignorance ) A Handel concert is a treat anytime and I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Pity Handel didn’t stay in Italy and composed more of those glorious Italian works

Oh England was a very bad influence...all those Coronations and Thanksgivings and stuff.

I couldn't quite believe the speed at which Harry C. started off Dixit. It might have been Jeggers conducting! Whilst the choir and the band coped with the speed...just....the wheels nearly came off in those little solo fragments in the opening number (S then A then, later T). Baroque music doesn't have to be pushed to the limit to sound exhilarating, especially not in a big building. I did detect a very slight easing off of tempo at 'donec ponam' .

I'm a big fan of Harry Christophers and The Sixteen (or however many they are) and for me he brings great musicality to every style of music he performs. I was disappointed that last night he seemed to have caught the play-it-as-fast-as-you-can bug. Of course there were many beautiful moments, eg the De Torrente soprano duet.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            It certainly did and I imagine the venue added the effect?
            Indeed, although I'd very surprised if the numbers present in the choir were much over 20. Perhaps someone in attendance could enlighten us.

I wouldn’t say there was any fault in the soloists. It’s just my taste (or ignorance ) A Handel concert is a treat anytime and I enjoyed it very much.
            Please don't feel you have to qualify your remarks, but as a practitioner of early music I'd very much like to know what you expect to hear for a vocal solo to be ideal here. If it's just a matter of taste, then perhaps it's more difficult to put your finger on it, but I'm genuinely interested.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Indeed, although I'd very surprised if the numbers present in the choir were much over 20. Perhaps someone in attendance could enlighten us.

Please don't feel you have to qualify your remarks, but as a practitioner of early music I'd very much like to know what you expect to hear for a vocal solo to be ideal here. If it's just a matter of taste, then perhaps it's more difficult to put your finger on it, but I'm genuinely interested.
              (Help….) I shall have to be more careful what I say in the future!!

Nevilevelis
              If you have not guessed, I am a novice in early music (and only a listener as to that) and have no suitable vocabulary for discussing the matter with an expert like you. However, since it’s too late to delete my comment, I listened to the performance again and thought about what made me say what I said. Here it is but I don’t know if it makes sense.

It was the soprano, both in Let God arise and Dixit Dominus. I think I like it more expansive, maybe more soaring as if the voice were calling out for heavenly beings. Instead, it sounded to me rather contained / composed. However, as ardcarp says the De Torrente soprano duet was very good. Maybe because this is more introspective, I don’t know.

Please don’t question me any further. You won’t make any better sense it this doesn’t.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

(Help….) I shall have to be more careful what I say in the future!!

Nevilevelis
                If you have not guessed, I am a novice in early music (and only a listener as to that) and have no suitable vocabulary for discussing the matter with an expert like you. However, since it’s too late to delete my comment, I listened to the performance again and thought about what made me say what I said. Here it is but I don’t know if it makes sense.

It was the soprano, both in Let God arise and Dixit Dominus. I think I like it more expansive, maybe more soaring as if the voice were calling out for heavenly beings. Instead, it sounded to me rather contained / composed. However, as ardcarp says the De Torrente soprano duet was very good. Maybe because this is more introspective, I don’t know.

Please don’t question me any further. You won’t make any better sense it this doesn’t.
                I'd say that's pretty clear and very erudite! I think you have described her performance/approach very succinctly. No further questions!

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

I'd say that's pretty clear and very erudite! I think you have described her performance/approach very succinctly. No further questions!
                  Thank you. Phew….

Comment

Working...
                  X