• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Baroque New Release on CD Review 3 days left to listen

I am just catching up with the CD Review. From 10.45, Andrew talks to David Vicers about Baroque new release. Packed with interesting information and absolutely delightful music. This is another programme that should carry the warning: Hide your credit card.

P.S. This should be on CD Review Board but I hope we are not that strict about things.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    I am just catching up with the CD Review. From 10.45, Andrew talks to David Vicers about Baroque new release. Packed with interesting information and absolutely delightful music. This is another programme that should carry the warning: Hide your credit card.

P.S. This should be on CD Review Board but I hope we are not that strict about things.
    I heard about half of it last weekend, and am saving the rest on the bedside DAB radio for a nice listen during a lie-in on 'Wedding Bank Holiday'

But as you intimate, it's already cost me £sd... I downloaded the absolutely TERRIFIC performance of the Bach D major Suite by Café Zimmerman. The tempo and swing of the final Gigue I found to be one of those perfectly judged performances that makes a familiar piece come alive, everyone should hear it! I defy anyone to resist the temptation to smile at the sheer felicity of that particular track!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

What's even worse for the wallet is that this exciting performance by Café Zimmerman led me to explore the rest of their discography on the Alpha label - it all looks so tempting and I'm always such a sucker for that attractive packaging from this source!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        What's even worse for the wallet is that this exciting performance by Café Zimmerman led me to explore the rest of their discography on the Alpha label - it all looks so tempting and I'm always such a sucker for that attractive packaging from this source!
        I had a flick through the samples of the other albums available on iTunes and the various concerti didn't grab me quite as much... I'm no doubt missing much and there remains a slight flinching from the wallet pocket, because as you say they are appealing packages!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I heard about half of it last weekend, and am saving the rest on the bedside DAB radio for a nice listen during a lie-in on 'Wedding Bank Holiday'

But as you intimate, it's already cost me £sd... I downloaded the absolutely TERRIFIC performance of the Bach D major Suite by Café Zimmerman. The tempo and swing of the final Gigue I found to be one of those perfectly judged performances that makes a familiar piece come alive, everyone should hear it! I defy anyone to resist the temptation to smile at the sheer felicity of that particular track!
          Oh Caliban, you rotter!

On your advice I hied me off to Spotify for a listen and impressive tho' their JSB is, it is their CPE that really entranced me. I've had the Hogwood for years, and I'm not planning to abandon it, but rather I now have to 'augment' it with Café Zimmermann's

Oh Caliban, you rotter!

Many thanks

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Oh Caliban, you rotter!

On your advice I hied me off to Spotify for a listen and impressive tho' their JSB is, it is their CPE that really entranced me. I've had the Hogwood for years, and I'm not planning to abandon it, but rather I now have to 'augment' it with Café Zimmermann's

Oh Caliban, you rotter!

Many thanks
            Apologies, mon cher Amateur!!!

In turn, I haven't heard their CPE - which album is that then?

You may yet get your own back if it grabs me in the same place it grabbed you!!!

Their JSB concertos Volume 5 (the one I raved about above, with the D major Suite) just got a Diapason D'Or by the way...

PS: trivia - C Hogwood Esq and I had the same piano teacher

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

I think "augmenting" the Hogwood is the right thing to do with their CPE disc, because as it includes a cello concerto, there is not enough room for all six string symphonies. But it sounds an exciting disc - more intimate and less "big band" than Hogwood's, though I must say I still have a strong sentimental attachment to the latter, having lived with it ever since it was released.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                PS: trivia - C Hogwood Esq and I had the same piano teacher

"had", Caliban?

I knew that Chrissie Hogwood had a, hmmm, reputation (any libel lawyers here??) - but you???

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Comment

Working...
                  X