Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Still working my way through the box. Just heard no. 68 - the Adagio must be one of the loveliest Haydn ever wrote and the Presto finale with all its tricks has me grinning from ear to ear!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

One disc per evening, accompanied by a glass of something chilled, looking out at a perfect warm cloudless sky. Bliss!

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

That sounds ideal, Dougie.

I've finally got to the 'Morzin' symphonies, the ones that were first recorded in the cycle. I have finally found one criticism and that is the use of harpsichord continuo in those early works. I guess I'm so used to the Hogwood recordings in which he eschewed a harpsichord for various reasons and I have to say I do prefer his leaner sound. But this is nitpicking really - the Solomons box is just so extraordinarily good in every respect. I'll be sad when I get to the end, but hey, I'll just start the discs all over again!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... what you really want is this -

(I see the price has gone up. It was 80 euros when I got it in 2010... . )
          Just had to check - found I'd already got that box - sitting on my shelves! Not sure if I [or anyone I leave the set to] will be able to get that much for it, but worth knowing.

Just started listening to the Solomons Haydn box. I think it'll take a while. Makes a change from other things I might be doing.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I wonder if there are any composers homes to visit here in the South of France? That'd be a good bit of research to do.
            Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Do you know, I don't think many/any composers came from that area, well Milhaud, Marseilles...
            well, there is Ravel
            ... on our way to St Felix Lauragais (Déodat de Séverac, vid.sup.) have been shopping in Pamiers. Which I find was the birthplace of Gabriel Fauré...

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-08-24, 16:45.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Just started listening to the Solomons Haydn box. I think it'll take a while. Makes a change from other things I might be doing.
              ....well indeed a spin of the dice makes the day go around....
              bong ching

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Just finished the 18th and last disc - one regret is the lack of even just a few programme notes on each of the symphonies, but the box is surely one of the happiest purchases I have made in the last few years

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... the lovely little township of Saint-Félix-Lauragais was the birthplace of Déodat de Séverac. There is a plaque, but I'm not sure the house is visitable. But the place is well worth a visit in its own right (excellent restaurant avec chambres too... )

(Aldo Ciccolini is buried in Saint-Félix-Lauragais , near to the tomb of Déodat de Séverac... )

... just back from three weeks in that part of the world, the last three days spent in Saint-Félix-Lauragais - made a pilgrimage to the tombs of Déodat and Aldo : happy to report that as well as a plaque on his house ( "a plaque on all your houses" sez I ), there is now an Espace Déodat de Séverac in the main square with various of his things : the woman in charge was an elderly aristocratic Parisienne - we very much suspected she might be a de Séverac... There is also a rather good bust of him on the south side of the château walls. Here follows an advertorial for the town -

[ I can if necessary provide further info on the interesting cimetière des Anglais at Saint-Félix-Lauragais referred to in the above : the dead wounded after the Battle of Toulouse 10 April 1814 (by which time Napoleon had already capitulated) - but I fear we have already drifted too far from the marvellous Derek Solomons box of Haydn symphonies... ]

Après la rude bataille de Toulouse du 10 avril 1814, plusieurs soldats anglais commandés par le Duc de Wellington rendirent leur dernier souffle de vie à Saint-Félix-Lauragais.

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-08-24, 14:59.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

How fascinating, Vints... welcome back! Sounds like a delightful pilgrimage and I do hope that your suspicions of the elderly doyenne are correct.
                    I see there's another chance to get the Ciccolini set on Amazon, so I'm just off to snap it up.
                    Where are you with the Solomons set?

Comment

Working...
                    X