X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Yes Micky, if you've the Kuijkens you'll probably have the best version, period perf. wise. This one has a few of the arr. of the baryton trios for flute as well which I've been enjoying - by the way at Eisenstadt they have on display the baryton owned by Prince Esterházy.

De Séverac is particularly badly served by recordings of works other than the piano ones. The best thing is to look for the three CD set with Aldo Ciccolini on EMI. I have the issue numbered CES 572 372 2, but it's not easy to find...I've had a look on the usual sites, you may have more luck in France! There are other perfs ie three single discs on Naxos, but I haven't heard them or seen them at a decent price. The songs usually come as two or three on recital CDs so probably not feasible, unless you want the other stuff. Sorry not to be much help!
    Thanks Roger - I found the Ciccolini on Amazon.fr yesterday but should have snapped it up there and then, as the price for second hand sets has just gone up. Possibly because of this thread! I did notice the Naxos discs, must investigate more.

Regarding the baryton, both Vints and I invested some time ago in the Brilliant Classics complete baryton trios set - no less than 21 discs!! Some might see that as an ordeal, but it does go to prove just how inventive and tireless Haydn was when commissioned to write!

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

My Solomons Haydn box arrived today but that almost feels off-topic
      ... mine just arrived, have just listened to symph: 39. Pure joy

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Thanks Roger - I found the Ciccolini on Amazon.fr yesterday but should have snapped it up there and then, as the price for second hand sets has just gone up. Possibly because of this thread! I did notice the Naxos discs, must investigate more.

Regarding the baryton, both Vints and I invested some time ago in the Brilliant Classics complete baryton trios set - no less than 21 discs!! Some might see that as an ordeal, but it does go to prove just how inventive and tireless Haydn was when commissioned to write!
        I have a photo of the baryton owned by Prince E that I took at Eisenstadt, but can't upload it on thread unfortunately....other members seem to be able to put photos on....I might try sending it on a personal message to you.

Edit. No that won't work either!
        Last edited by Roger Webb; 13-06-24, 11:07.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Roger - I found the Ciccolini on Amazon.fr yesterday but should have snapped it up there and then, as the price for second hand sets has just gone up. Possibly because of this thread!
          ... what you really want is this -

(I see the price has gone up. It was 80 euros when I got it in 2010... . )

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Bingo on the 3 CD Aldo Ciccolini set as in World of Books.fr - for 16 euros including postage.
            Looks like this was one to grab Micky.......I wonder, did HDougie snap it up?!

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... what you really want is this -

(I see the price has gone up. It was 80 euros when I got it in 2010... . )
              Oh my goodness, that's quite a hike! The 3 CD set of the Séverac is about 26 euros, but I think I'll see if that price comes down. The Naxos series seems to have been well received, but prices there too seem to have become high for bargain-priced CDs.

So pleased to see so many fellow members going for the Solomons box - I'm currently on No.48 and thrilled at what a terrific pace the first movement is played, sounds just right, as do so many other symphonies in this glorious set.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

I have a photo of the baryton owned by Prince E that I took at Eisenstadt, but can't upload it on thread unfortunately....other members seem to be able to put photos on....I might try sending it on a personal message to you.
                Thank you, Roger!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

Thank you, Roger!
                  No, that doesn't work.....shame it's one of my better efforts!

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Never mind, thanks for trying!

Just got to No. 44 - I had forgotten how well Solomons takes the first movement - neither Hogwood nor Pinnock nor Koopman ever realised the speed and tension of this, quite wonderful.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Well done him if he did! That's what comes of hesitating!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Edit. No that won't work either!
                        Roger, the forum needs a link (URL) to a hosted image.
                        I'm using IMGBB to upload photos - it's free and will keep them online for you (or be deleted after a time).

Go to their website, https://imgbb.com/, click on "Start Uploading", tell it which image you want to upload... finally choose "BBcode fully linked" and copy the URL which you can paste directly in to your forum post.

The BBcode (Bulletin board code) will look something like this:
                        Code:
                        [url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://i.ibb.co/BTWnJbq/2024-06-13-Image.png[/img][/url]

Or, you can use the insert "Image" button if you just want to use the URL for the image from their BBcode, it looks something like this:
                        Code:
                        https://i.ibb.co/BTWnJbq/2024-06-13-Image.png

Comment

• oliver sudden
                          • Feb 2024

The trios are alas under-represented on my shelves but I can heartily recommend this version of the octets!

Haydn: Complete Baryton Octets. Ricercar: RIC206. Buy download online. Ricercar Consort, Philippe Pierlot

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Guilty as charged, m'lud. I'm a fan of Ciccolini - a rather under-appreciated musician.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Well done you, Dougie. I'll keep my eyes open for another copy!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Roger, the forum needs a link (URL) to a hosted image.
                                I'm using IMGBB to upload photos - it's free and will keep them online for you (or be deleted after a time).

Go to their website, https://imgbb.com/, click on "Start Uploading", tell it which image you want to upload... finally choose "BBcode fully linked" and copy the URL which you can paste directly in to your forum post.

The BBcode (Bulletin board code) will look something like this:
                                Code:
                                [url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://i.ibb.co/BTWnJbq/2024-06-13-Image.png[/img][/url]

Or, you can use the insert "Image" button if you just want to use the URL for the image from their BBcode, it looks something like this:
                                Code:
                                https://i.ibb.co/BTWnJbq/2024-06-13-Image.png
                                Thanks AuntD, but I'm going to need help from 11 year old niece for anything so complicated! She's coming on the weekend, I'll get her to look at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X