Gregorian chant CD Topping Billboard Magazine Classical-Traditional Chart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Gregorian chant CD Topping Billboard Magazine Classical-Traditional Chart!

Doesn't get much earlier for Early Music than Gregorian chant. According to classical FM station, WFMT in Chicago:

"Mozart once said, “The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” Truer words could not be said about the Monks of Norcia. This group of Benedictine brothers is under a vow of silence but just released an album that debuted at #1 on the Billboard classical charts. The monks at the Monastery of St. Benedict in Norcia, Italy have a median age of 36 and hail from all corners of the globe from Indonesia to Irving, Texas. Their new CD, Benedicta: Marian Chant from Norcia, captures the heavenly sounds of their daily devotions. I spoke with Father Cassian Folsom, one of the brothers, about what he calls their “beautiful life” in Umbria."

• doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

History repeats?

...an album of Gregorian chant, performed by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos at their monastery in Burgos, Spain

...in 1994 when it was strongly marketed as an antidote to the stress of modern life.[1] Chant is the best-selling album of Gregorian chant ever released. It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 music chart, and was certified as double platinum, meaning two million copies were sold in the United States. Worldwide, the album sold around six million copies

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I don't care why people listen to it as long as they listen.

(I don't even care if they advertise a particular recording numerous times on here!)

Comment

• charles t
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I don't care why people listen to it as long as they listen.

(I don't even care if they advertise a particular recording numerous times on here!)
        Thank you for your insight, Jean. Yea, over on The River (US), numerous feedbacks stating The Monks release is: Best Ever!

(Just about impossible to provide a link herein, to a complete music sample from the {33} chants...)

Comment

Working...
        X