• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Hidden Face of the Renaissance: EMS 28 June

Lucie Skeaping presents Ensemble Organum at the 2015 Aldeburgh Festival. Their programme The Hidden Face of the Renaissance ranges from Byzantine song to 16th-century Latin liturgy via the fascinating florid polyphony of Corsica.
    Lucie Skeaping presents Ensemble Organum in concert at the 2015 Aldeburgh Festival.

Early music even by the EMS standard. Not sure where ‘hidden’ comes into but here are a couple of examples of the ensemble’s performance.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Composer : Magister Leoninus (fl. 1150s ~ d. 1201) ;Performers : Marcel Pérès / Ensemble organum ;Label : Harmonia Mundi France/ LP (1985) ;Organa and chan...
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Not sure where ‘hidden’ comes into but
    I found this from Wrocław's Wratislavia Cantans:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
      Late Member
      • Dec 2010

Search YouTube for their recording of the Chant des Templiers – some of the most forthright singing of plainsong you're likely to hear.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

2.00PM today.

Comment

• Roehre

2.00PM today.
          without playlist no listening I'm afraid.
          The time I am able to reserve for listening is too short to take a chance of not enjoying a program.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

There's one in #2.

The form Wratislavia is interesting - Latinised, it's easier for us to approximate to the Polish pronunciation. See under Etymology here.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by jean View Post
              There's one in #2.
              Thanks.
              We might be in for a treat.
              For those who don't know Peres/ensemble organum's approach: prepare.
              One of my favourites is their interpretation of Machaut's Messe de nostre Dame on Harmonia Mundi, as well as their Mozarabic chant on the same label.
              Last edited by Guest; 28-06-15, 10:38.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Thanks.
                We might be in for a treat.
                For those who don't know Peres/ensemble organum's approach: prepare.
                One of my favourites is their interpretation of Machaut's Messe de nostre Dame on Harmonia Mundi, as well as their Mozarabic chant on the same label.
                ... a treat indeed. I revel in - nay, roll around in joy when experiencing - the work of Marcel Pérès and ensemble organum

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... a treat indeed. I revel in - nay, roll around in joy when experiencing - the work of Marcel Pérès and ensemble organum

... as Roehre suspected - a real treat of a concert; magnificent Music and Music-making.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

A pity (IMO) the group was a bit at a distance, but their rawer approach, more arabic influenced if you like (Lucie Skeaping did not mention that in her to-the-point and illuminating introductions), really makes a difference in this repertoire.
                    Last edited by Guest; 29-06-15, 13:32.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Yes, slightly odd acoustic, but love their work - as always.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

A real treat indeed. Is this Roger Wright’s doing?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

A real treat indeed. Is this Roger Wright’s doing?
                          I did wonder this - he's been there since September, so not impossible. Is Aldeburgh as "planned ahead" as the Proms (so that this year's Proms were largely settled by RW - the new chap getting 2016 and 2017 finalized)?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X