X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post

Are there any other cities/towns in Britain where music thrived in the same way in the 18 century?
    This work might provide some information: http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754638681

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Dovers, Newcastle is not off the beaten track - it was a major staging post on the journey between London and Edinburgh, as was made clear in the programme.
      You can tell by the architecture that it was a place of consequence.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Dovers, Newcastle is not off the beaten track - it was a major staging post on the journey between London and Edinburgh, as was made clear in the programme. Charles Avison and his music are well known to us in the North East. I agree, an excellent programme.

OG

As an aside, I have always wondered why : ale : has the handle to the left and : ela : has the handle to the right - something sinister going on there...

[For the record - in case you see it, OG: : ale : was pinched from the old BBC board and I invented :ela : as the reverse because it fitted better with Mere whimsy - ff]
        Thanks FF, I didn't know that. I was not much of a regular at the old BBC alehouse

OG

Comment

• Historian
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Talking of Keels, A bit off topic,well completely off topic actually and even the wrong century,but interesting nontheless, is the history of professional rowing in The C19 on the Tyne , as well as the Thames and other major rivers.

More or less forgotten now,some of these guys were major celebrities of a sport that spanned the empire.
          HUge crowds were common on the Tyne. There was even a town in Canada named after one of the best Rowers.

Big prizes were up for grabs, which ,when doing some work on this, I calculated to be at least £100k in todays value.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/features/r...ghistory.shtml
          Fascinating; I had no idea about any of this. Thank you.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Managed to catch up with this on iplayer - very interesting. I had never heard Sunderland-by- the-Sea before!!

And the Avison revival continues, he is getting an outing in Essential Classics Happy Hour as I stumble across the keyboard............

Comment

Working...
            X