Music for Marie Fel - C Sampson/Ex Cathedra (London Festival of Baroque Music)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Music for Marie Fel - C Sampson/Ex Cathedra (London Festival of Baroque Music)

Lucie Skeaping presents highlights from Music for Marie Fel, a concert given at St John's Smith Square as part of the London Festival of Baroque Music.

Carolyn Sampson, soprano
    Matthew Barber, narrator
    Ex Cathedra
    Jeffrey Skidmore, conductor

Soprano Marie Fel, the 'adorable nightingale' who held Parisian audiences spellbound during one of the most glorious periods in French music history and inspired the greatest composers of the day, is celebrated by a favourite modern-day nightingale in works by Rameau, Lalande, Mondonville and others.'
    Highlights from Music for Marie Fel, a concert celebrating the 18th-century soprano.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I heard Carolyn Sampson live at Wigmore Hall about 4 years ago in some Handel with a small Chamer Orchestra. Great voice, and she radiates tremendous charisma

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I caught half of this on the way to lunch and shall make a point of catching up / keeping this.

It was a delight, a narrated picture of the musical life of the time, la Guerre des Bouffons, etc ... and interesting contrasts between the French classics of the time and those of other countries...

Highlights from Music for Marie Fel, a concert celebrating the 18th-century soprano.

Well worth 55 mns of anyone's time!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

I went to this, it was the most marvellous concert. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THE WHOLE CONCERT ON R3? I really hate this idea of chopping up concerts to fit slots.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I agree, but I suppose that given the way things are going these days, we were lucky to have the hour that we did. Great to hear so much rare repertoire, even to these baroque ears.

Comment

Working...
          X