• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Purcell's The Fairy Queen.: Thursday Opera Matinee 22 April

Has this been posted somewhere? If it has, please, Host, merge this to the earlier post.

Katie Derham presents today's Thursday Opera Matinee, Purcell's The Fairy Queen […, …., ….]

Dorothea Roschmann (soprano)
    Martina Jankova (soprano)
    Elisabeth von Magnus (mezzo-soprano)
    Terry Wey (countertenor)
    Joshua Ellicot (tenor)
    Florian Boesch (bass)
    Arnold Schoenberg Chorus
    Concentus Musicus Vienna
    Nikolaus Harnoncourt (conductor)
    Unique performances with BBC Orchestras, Choirs and other great orchestras

It will be interesting to hear how this all non-British casts (except for the tenor, I think) manage the spoken dialogue, but I’m afraid I can’t bring myself to face Katie Derham’s introduction of this work. I had a misfortune to turn the radio on this afternoon just as she was telling us about Grieg:’s The Mountain Maid as ‘the heroin is a herd girl who had the sixth sense with hallucination and all that…’ or something on the line. The Fairy Queen will give her an excellent opportunity to exercise her creative speaking…

[ed.] 23rd April (Thank you, ferney)
    Last edited by doversoul1; 22-04-15, 20:11.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

23rd?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

An interesting performance! It had verve, I'll say that for it, though as you suspected dovers, it was a bit Germanic. But hey, what do they say about our Bach Passions? The ensemble wasn't always tidy, but then it was 'recorded live', so one can't expect perfection. I would have liked less wobbly (and vague) soprano soloists....but again, the drama, the drama. I always hope for an Emma Kirkby type voice in such things.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I finished work, turned on the car radio and there was 'Fairy Queen'! I don't know this piece at all, although I do know and love 'Dido...'.

Anyway, suitably impressed, I popped into the Moningside Road, Edinburgh, Oxfam shop and found...'The Fairy Queen' (Koopman) on cd!

Some things are meant to be...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I finished work, turned on the car radio and there was 'Fairy Queen'! I don't know this piece at all, although I do know and love 'Dido...'.

Anyway, suitably impressed, I popped into the Moningside Road, Edinburgh, Oxfam shop and found...'The Fairy Queen' (Koopman) on cd!

Some things are meant to be...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X