Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    Rummaging my off-air videos, I concluded that the first liaison between Messrs Christophers and Beale may have been their exploration of the 300 year history behind the sacred work, Allegri's Miserere, followed by a performance by the Sixteen in this 30 mins documentary. I recorded it on BBC 4, in 2010, but feel this may have been a repeat transmission from 2005/6.

The 60 mins format may have been sanctioned for the same team to produce God's Composer - Victoria, (2011). Again, sumptuous settings for the composition of the great works of the Renaissance and the Spanish golden age; spiritual aspirations cheek by jowl with delight in the physical world, Of course, The Magnificat took centre stage.

Altogether, an ideal themed programme on two DVD's.
    Stanley, they also did a 4-part series on polyphony, which was excellent. SRB seems to have an excellent rapport with both HC and the group. Having been a chorister in his youth must help, he's clearly on their wavelength.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Many thanks for the tip, Richard. Must have a closer look at my collecion as the Sacred Music title seems familiar.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

A fortuitous discovery on off-air video; Monteverdi's Orfeo in a BBC 4 showing, (16 June 2002): La Capella Reial de Catalunya from Gran Teatre del Liceu, Barcelona. Directed for TV by Brian Large who captures Jordi Savall's exuberant staging of Monteverdi's masterwork from 1607. I missed any intro but tuned-in before the conductor raised his baton for the overture. Found a concise synopsis of all five acts, together with a fascinating background to the opera in The Viking Opera Guide. Fortunately, the screening also provided subtitles. Splendid design throughout matched by gracious choreography. The key players, Monserrat Figueras, Furio Zanasi and Arianna Savali, all sensitive to the work. A treasure in 115 mins, now transferred to DVD.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

This?
          L'OrfeoFavola in musica by Claudio Monteverdiwith La Capella Reial de CatalunyaConducted by Jordi SavallStages by Gilbert DefloDirected by Brian LargeSingers...

[ed.] not quite the same but just as good (I think)

no subtiles on this one but here are the synopsis plus the libretto in English.
          Last edited by doversoul1; 09-04-15, 20:57.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Thanks, ds! Glad to know that I only missed less than 30 secs of the opening credits and to know there was no formal intro either. It really is a most engaging production but I also appreciated the use of subtitles on my print.

Comment

Working...
            X