• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    We now have two threads, here and on The Choir: I can't merge them, but will have to await One With Higher Powers to do so.

No worries, Draco, we posted at exactly the same moment!
    There is one on the Early Music Show, too.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      There is one on the Early Music Show, too.
      http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...of-the-Vespers
      Oh dear. And I'm going to bed....

Well, it is early music, there is a choir involved and it was shown on television....

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Woops - started a thread at EXACTLY the same time...... should have watched more carefully. apologies.

Recalling SRB's other frontings of music on the Beeb, I was a bit apprehensive about this one, particularly as the 1610 Vespers are among my favourite pieces. BUT, have to say, this was both illuminating and finely contextualised. Christophers / The Sixteen plus instrumentalists gave a fine account of extracts. We had letters, MS, part books, plenty of architecture to admire, but above all, we had the music.

Thanks to all.
        Absolutely agreed. A wonderful 'model' programme. This was exactly how TV music presentations ought to be.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Watched the first 20 mins. Got fed up with the constant references to "sex" and "sexy" - not that I'm agin sex - so switched off and put on a CD of the Vespers.

Thanks BBC, another good idea ruined.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            1810?

don't you mean 1610?
            What's 200 ears between friends?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

All three threads now merged. I judged the Early Music board to be the most appropriate.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                All three threads now merged. I judged the Early Music board to be the most appropriate.
                Thanks ff.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  In their email to me, the Sixteen tell me that this is being broadcast on Easter Saturday...how could they make such a dreadful mistake?
                  The speaker on yesterday's R4 Thought for the day also called it Easter Saturday!

Recorded this and am looking forward to watching it later (though the sexy references might grate here too); thought it best to take a break from viewing after chortling my way through Carry on Cleo, still my favourite of the series!

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

I’ve just watched it. It reminded me of how much I really miss Discovering Music. Are there any programmes about music on Radio 3 now?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

it was a good prog and a good idea but like others i wondered about Italian artists performing early and baroque music, such a difference to the estimable but less earthy English ensembles imv .. and the prog did send me off to look for Nadia Boulanger and chums performing Monteverdi
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Good programme, I thought.

OG

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Many thanks ff.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Now we've come to rest in the Early Music section - And why not? - further thoughts on the programme, some echoing others' previous comments.

What I most appreciated about the programme was its intelligent presentation. We had a professional actor, Simon Russell Beale, doing the walking about and disappearing through doors visual cliches of television documentaries, while somehow keeping those cues integrated into the story being told. It was lovely to see Mantua (which I don't know) with Claudio Monteverdi put into context. (BTW, I thought the sex-and-scandal stuff relevant because it must have been a factor, albeit not explained in the programme, in the way CM had been treated.)

Then we had The Sixteen and Harry Christophers explaining some of the musical and performance issues in a manner that was informative without talking down. The fact that the presenter, SRB, is musical, even having a go at singing, on camera, from a 16th century manuscipt was a key element in the programme's successful middle-of-the-road style: educative without grating patronising.

For me the programme brought Claudio Monteverdi the man alive; and, for a television programme on early music of that length, I think it couldn't be faulted.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              For me the programme brought Claudio Monteverdi the man alive; and, for a television programme on early music of that length, I think it couldn't be faulted.

Blimey, someone who actually LIKES the form of television.
                              I never thought I would find that in here

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I enjoyed the programme - SRB and HC and the Sixteen a well-tried partnership (earlier outings on Palestrina and polyphony, Victoria, the story of Allegri's Miserere.....)

Simon Russell Beale was sporting his King Lear buzzcut.....

Re Easter Saturday, at least the Rev Lucy Winkett got it right on Private Passions (as one would hope). Saying she couldn't write her Easter Sunday sermon until after Good Friday because she wasn't in the groove.

Comment

Working...
                                X