Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Monteverdi in Mantua: The Genius of the Vespers

Next Saturday, April 4 9-10 pm, on BBC2
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Simon Russell Beale travels to Italy to explore the story of the notorious Duke of Mantua and his long-suffering court composer Claudio Monteverdi during the turbulent times of the late Italian Renaissance. Out of the volatile relationship between the duke and the composer came Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610, a major turning point in western music. The Sixteen, led by Harry Christophers, explore some of the radical and beautiful choral music in this dramatic composition.
    Simon Russell Beale explores the story of the Monteverdi Vespers of 1610.

Simon Russell Beale & The Sixteen explore the thrilling opening to Monterverdi's Vespers

Many thanks for this. It certainly looks much more worthwhile waiting for than that ****Bach programme. However, has it got to be The Sixteen that provides the music? Yes, it is a superb choir but,…well, I suppose being able to join SRB in English is a big advantage…. As it happens, I am reading an interview with Alan Curtis who explains why Monteverdi should be sung by Italian singers. Mind you, this was back in 1997.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Excellent news. Many thanks for heads-up.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

The Italians have got to that chapel in Mantua already...this is a clip from a recording which I think sounds glorious and full-blooded.

The recording is available on Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/claudio-monteverdi-marco-mencoboni/id417462576‬Cantar Lontano and Marco Mencoboni rehe...

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

My understanding was that the Vespers were written by Monteverdi (or compiled by him from various works by him?) as a 'job application' for a post at St Mark's in Venice - & therefore presumably not for performance in Mantua. Obviously I'll have to watch the programme to get my facts right

Comment

• Radio64
            • Jan 2014

Thanks for the heads up. Looks interesting.
            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
              Thanks for the heads up. Looks interesting.
              seconded

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

In their email to me, the Sixteen tell me that this is being broadcast on Easter Saturday...how could they make such a dreadful mistake?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  In their email to me, the Sixteen tell me that this is being broadcast on Easter Saturday...how could they make such a dreadful mistake?
                  Holy inappropriate.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Radio64
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    ..yes, I mean everyone knows it's actually Easter Eve.
                    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Monteverdi in Mantua - the genius of the Vespers

I've just watched this documentary on Monteverdi with great pleasure and considerable learning. Having been rather sniffy on these boards about television programmes, I commend this one, presented by Simon Russell Beale, and featuring Harry Christophers and The Sixteen in extensive excerpts from the Vespers of 1610. Beautifully shot and intelligently put together.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Monteverdi in Mantua BBC 2

Recalling SRB's other frontings of music on the Beeb, I was a bit apprehensive about this one, particularly as the 1810 Vespers are among my favourite pieces. BUT, have to say, this was both illuminating and finely contextualised. Christophers / The Sixteen plus instrumentalists gave a fine account of extracts. We had letters, MS, part books, plenty of architecture to admire, but above all, we had the music.

Thanks to all.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Woops - started a thread at EXACTLY the same time...... should have watched more carefully. apologies.

Recalling SRB's other frontings of music on the Beeb, I was a bit apprehensive about this one, particularly as the 1610 Vespers are among my favourite pieces. BUT, have to say, this was both illuminating and finely contextualised. Christophers / The Sixteen plus instrumentalists gave a fine account of extracts. We had letters, MS, part books, plenty of architecture to admire, but above all, we had the music.

Thanks to all.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

1810?

don't you mean 1610?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

We now have two threads, here and on The Choir: I can't merge them, but will have to await One With Higher Powers to do so.

No worries, Draco, we posted at exactly the same moment!

Comment

Working...
                              X