• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Nigel Rogers: EMS 22 March

Lucie Skeaping presents a profile of the career of the British tenor Nigel Rogers, who celebrates his 80th birthday this week.
    Lucie Skeaping presents a profile of the career of British tenor Nigel Rogers.

Nice and brief for Sunday morning….
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I'm really looking forward to this! He was, if I recall correctly, one of the first singers to master the trillo in modern times.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

A very lovely 80th birthday tribute to a great artist! I thought the music played was a brilliant selection of what Nigel was good at! I am in slight disagreement with Charles Medlam's description of his voice as 'grainy'. We're into semantics here I suppose, but 'grainy', as for instance applied to a photograph, suggests blurring or lack of focus. Nigel's voice was definitely focused! It had a hard edge and a nasal quality which was very distinctive and made him different from the typical English lyric tenor. He was the 'oboe' of the tenor world, I suppose; and he seldom chose the mezza voce option for high notes. But IMO his voice was wonderfully suited to what he did, and I must say his rendition of Nigra Sum from Monteverdi's Vespers which closed the programme is hard to beat. A wonderful artist and a big influence in the Early Music world.

BTW, isn't Le Jeu de Robin et Marion a great piece.....given tremendous verve in today's version.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Many moons ago, I remember Nigel Rogers doing a very nice Schone Mullerin cycle with Richard Burnett on fortepiano for Telefunken.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          '...grainy', as for instance applied to a photograph, suggests blurring or lack of focus...
          Isn't it more the granular appearance on the surface, which is a result of the lack of focus?

And, as applied to sound, doesn't it imply a sort of grittiness - a kind of edge, the opposite of blurring? As here:

Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)"Zefiro torna," ciacona for 2 tenorsNigel Rogers, Ian Partridge, tenorsPicture: "Erato, or an Allegory of Music," Fillipino Lip...

Comment

Working...
          X