• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The time of Boccaccio: EMS 7 December

As part of Decameron Nights, Lucie Skeaping talks to David Fallows, Emeritus Professor of Musicology at the University of Manchester, about music in Italy in the time of Boccaccio
    David Fallows talks to Lucie Skeaping about music in Italy in the time of Boccaccio.

Early (earlier) music. This will be good.

FYI: Decameron Nights: Ten Italian Indelicacies Remixed from Boccaccio;
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

2.00pm today.
    This looks/sounds interesting.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

...and, to inform myself as much as anything, Bocaccio's dates are 1313 - 1375 (according to Wiki)

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

This is (4 weeks left to listen) an absolutely fascinating programme, again, with an expert sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm with Lucie (and us). I thought the way in which Prof. Fallows’s answered Lucie’s questions (she asked more than once) about the authenticity was honest, insightful and very interesting.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Just heard it. EMS at its best, with some truly virtuosic performances. A must for lovers of early early music.

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
            • Nov 2012

I have not yet listened; this will be a pleasure tomorrow morning. But I remember the first time I heard David Munrow, playing this repertoire in Lacock Abbey in '69. "Ecco la primavera" (track one, side one of "A Florentine Festival)
            was a superb statement of intent by a young performer [aided and abetted by C. Hogwood, tabor] which, with its uncanny link to lost sound palettes, appeared at the time as direct an evocation of the past as the revival of Tutenkhamun's trumpets had for the previous generation http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13095673
            Last edited by Despina dello Stagno; 10-12-14, 22:12. Reason: speling ect.

Comment

• JohnfromGaronne

Thank you for this link. It may be a result of approaching middle age (jest - I'm already there but if you keep increasing life expectancy in a hopeful though not entirely scientific manner, you can keep convincing yourself that you're not halfway to the end yet), but I am more and more attracted to early music - from many countries.
              Plus, I think that some of the programmes devoted to such repertoire are among the best - most efficiently and skilfully plotted and produced - that Radio Three puts out. But of course, that may simply be my bias.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JohnfromGaronne View Post
                I think that some of the programmes devoted to such repertoire are among the best - most efficiently and skilfully plotted and produced - that Radio Three puts out. But of course, that may simply be my bias.
                But of course it isn’t (your bias).

The Early Music Show is one of the very best of Radio3’s programmes. And it is definitely the best when it presents odd and remote corners (to most people) of musical history. At least that’s what a lot of us think on The EMS Board.

Welcome!!

P.S. I m terribly biased, by the way

Comment

Working...
                X