• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Early Piano

Not exactly early music by my definition but this might be of interest to early piano enthusiasts

Through the Night: Friday 12.30
    Pianist Tobias Koch gives a recital of music by Chopin and his Polish contemporaries, on historic pianos in Poland. Jonathan Swain presents
    Pianist Tobias Koch gives a recital of music by Chopin and his Polish contemporaries.

[ed.] with a rarity like this:
    1:32 AM
    Wagner, Richard [1813-1883]
    Sonata in A major Op.4 for piano
    Tobias Koch (piano)

It is strange to think that Wagner and Chopin were contemporaries but they were. Only three years between them’ was Jonathan Swain’s comment. R3’s presentation at its best, or rather as it should.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 21-10-14, 09:08.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for posting, ds

Interesting to compare the Kupinski polonaise with Chopin's first polonaise in g minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUgJeWHPIA
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

caught some of this recital last night and found the sound of the piano very attractive ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Old pianos are always interesting, just like veteran and vintage cars. But would I choose to drive around in an ancient car? I think not.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Old pianos are always interesting, just like veteran and vintage cars. But would I choose to drive around in an ancient car? I think not.
          ... nor, I imagine, wd you care to have surgery carried out with seventeenth century implements.

However, if you did ever wish to try and experience the sound-world of the composer, the use of musical instruments similar to those known by the composer might be a fruitful way forwards...

Last edited by vinteuil; 21-10-14, 13:53.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... nor, I imagine, wd you care to have surgery carried out with seventeenth century implements.

However, if you did ever wish to try and experience the sound-world of the composer, the use of instruments similar to those known by the composer might be a fruitful way forwards...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Slightly off-topic: I'm sure I once (quite recently) saw a television documentary where it was stated that one of the pianos owned by Mozart was not only made by the same maker as one owned by Haydn, but that the two instruments were made from the same wood (ie from the same tree) as each other. Is this true? I can't find any reference to it online.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                the two instruments were made from the same wood (ie from the same tree) as each other. Is this true? .
                .... I suppose it might depend what one was to mean by 'made from the same wood' - that is to say, which parts of the piano. I imagine it wd matter less if we are talking abt the 'outer parts' - the bent side, the long side, or the inner 'structural' parts - wrest plank, supporting struts etc. If we are talking about the soundboard, I can see it might be quite likely that a maker wd acquire a fair amount of appropriately matured wood to make soundboards from a favoured supplier, and you could probably get a reasonable number of soundboards from the same tree. But I'm sorry I don't recall the specific documentary - can you recall the piano maker concerned?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I don't remember the maker's name being mentioned; IIRC, it was a programme about Haydn and I think that they were discussing the piano at Esterhazy (rather than the one in the Haydn Haus) and it was the casing that was from the same tree.

It doesn't seem to be the sort of thing I would dream about, but it's perplexing that I can't find any further supporting documentation. (fhg - putting the "hazy" into Esterhazy!)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                  X