• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Hans-Leo Hassler: BBC Singers EMS 19 October

Lucie Skeaping introduces a programme of sacred choral music by the German composer Hans-Leo Hassler. The music was specially recorded for the programme by the BBC Singers, conducted by Andrew Griffiths.
    […]

First broadcast December 2012.

Just for the matter if interest: here are a couple of clips by other performers.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Despina dello Stagno
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Lucie Skeaping introduces a programme of sacred choral music by the German composer Hans-Leo Hassler. The music was specially recorded for the programme by the BBC Singers, conducted by Andrew Griffiths.
    […]

First broadcast December 2012.

Just for the matter if interest: here are a couple of clips by other performers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1tR3fU4dE
    Does anyone know where this has got to? The December 2012 broadcast is currently unavailable for download and the link for 19th October is a glaring omission on the EMS site. I should very much like to download it, or at least obtain the playlist.

The poor man's dates are 1564 - 1612 so his 500th and 450th anniversary years have passed in quick succession and with a fraction of the fuss that they deserved. He is the fundamental cornerstone in the German choral heritage IM'UO.
    I have a lot of his pieces on my web-site in Sibelius. Although machine generated, the sound gives a little clue to the sumptuous Venetian style he disseminated in Germany, Austria and Bohemia:

Jubilate a 15 http://www.notamos.co.uk/145783.shtml
    Duo seraphim a 16 http://www.notamos.co.uk/145774.shtml
    Coeli enerrant a 13 http://www.notamos.co.uk/145780.shtml

I should dearly like to hear this kind of his output performed by a competent choir

P.S. Later edit. As you were; I have now cracked the playlist - doesn't look as if I missed too much
    Last edited by Despina dello Stagno; 01-12-14, 17:58. Reason: amplification

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I’m not sure if the problem is sometimes or always, but this was the same
      Lucie Skeaping explores how the bassoon developed from early curtals, dulcians and bajons.

Not available on iPlayer and did not exist on the list of the programmes.

I contacted the programme and was informed that the technical team was working hard to get it on the iPlayer. However, it never did, and I received a message of apology. As the messages were in an individual’s name, I think the apology was genuine.

Did anyone listen to this on iPlayer?

Just in case anyone else is interested in the playlist (can’t remember why I didn’t include in my post)
      Lucie Skeaping introduces sacred choral music by German composer Hans-Leo Hassler.

Originally posted by Despina dello Stagno View Post
      P.S. Later edit. As you were; I have now cracked the playlist - doesn't look as if I missed too much
      I am curious. What makes you say this?

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        Just in case anyone else is interested in the playlist (can’t remember why I didn’t include in my post)
        Lucie Skeaping introduces sacred choral music by German composer Hans-Leo Hassler.

I am curious. What makes you say this?
        First of all, thank you for your explanation.
        The playlist seems a little corrupted, and seems to include the same items three times.

Hassler is the man who, under the influence of the Gabrielis and Donato, dragged German music into the seventeenth century and shewed the way forward to Schein, Scheidt and Schutz and thence all the way forward to Bach, J.S. usw.
        You wouldn't gather that from the examples actually played. If I hear "Tanzen & Springen" ever again I shall scream; the vernacular texted items were only ever meant as light items (and those with religious texts were fairly undemanding four part settings). The serious meat of the hour was reduced to three motets: O sacrum convivium a 7, Omnes gentes plaudite a 10, and Duo seraphim a 12. The larger works are polychoral. and effectively (2 x 5) parts and (3 x 4) parts respectively. Realised one-to-a-part with no instrumental reinforcement, as they were here, and with no sense of Cori spezzati, they are pointless, conveying perhaps 30% of their original meaning.
        Hassler is at his best in 5 and 6 part counterpoint. There are any number of unfamiliar pieces that could have been chosen as a challenging introduction to his technique.
        So to choose a comparison which may be more illustrative to those familiar with the English repertoire, it is as if William Byrd were explained by a Coranto from the "Fitzwilliam Virginal Book", Though Amaryllis Dance in green, and a good scream e.g. "This day Christ was born". Don't mention Cantiones Sacrae. Bish, bash, bosh. Sorted.
        Last edited by Despina dello Stagno; 01-12-14, 22:16. Reason: Had fallen into the BBC trap of using "plaudit"

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Many thanks for your answer. Let’s hope that post-RW Radio3 will pull itself together and give serious thoughts to producing a challenging introduction to many more composers whose music we hardly hear on the station.

As for playlists, they have been in a words-fail-me kind of mess for a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X