• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Dowland (and Britten) Prom on BBC4

The Cadogan Hall Prom with Fretwork, Elizabeth Kenny and Ian Bostridge was re-broadcast tonight at 7.30. Presumably it will be on i-player soon.
  • Richard Tarleton

Sadly doesn't improve on a re-hearing. I'm not a Bostridge fan at the best of times but his mannered style hopelessly unsuited to this repertoire. Could be my imagination but Liz Kenny doesn't look as if she's enjoying herself.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

James Gilchrist was very good, though. Not easy to get the Songs from the Chinese across, the one about the unicorn especially.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        James Gilchrist was very good, though. Not easy to get the Songs from the Chinese across, the one about the unicorn especially.
        Thank you Mary I'd forgotten this was coming, I'd switched off in irritation during "Now O now", and have just watched it on iPlayer. Yes a lovely performance, and beautifully accompanied too. They really are fascinating songs.

Do you happen to know if the duet version of Master Kilby is kosher? Never heard it sung like that. Pears used to sing the whole thing with Bream (I have the record, and heard them perform it, along with the Songs from the Chinese, in the QEH in 1972). I thought Ruby Hughes was rather overdoing it, perhaps making up for being on for such a short time.

Tangentially (OT in other words ) I came across a reference to Arthur Waley in Douglas Botting's biog of Gavin Maxwell - Maxwell was describing people he met in Kathleen Raine's literary and artistic circle in the 1950s. Of Waley he wrote:
        He does seem a very odd person. He arrived at dinner early, left very late, and I don't think he opened his mouth once the whole time except to put food in it. When taxed by his hostess with this he said that he had an insatiable curiosity about other people's lives, and was never tired of listening. He lives with a woman called Beryl de Zut (which is a nice touch).

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Do you happen to know if the duet version of Master Kilby is kosher? Never heard it sung like that. Pears used to sing the whole thing with Bream (I have the record, and heard them perform it, along with the Songs from the Chinese, in the QEH in 1972). I thought Ruby Hughes was rather overdoing it, perhaps making up for being on for such a short time.
          I only know Master Kilby as a solo, and I too have the Pears/Bream recording. I'm sure it's meant to be about a conversation between two males. Ruby Hughes had more to do in the actual concert - I think she sang A Charm of Lullabies - and I think she probably looked less exaggerated in the hall than on television.

That is fascinating about Arthur Waley. I have to confess I know nothing about him except in the context of these songs.

Comment

Working...
          X