• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

A Tribute to Christopher Hogwood: EMS 28 September

Lucie Skeaping and Sir Nicholas Kenyon introduce some of Christopher Hogwood's brilliant recordings of early music and discuss the extraordinary impact he made. They discuss Hogwood's recorded legacy and play some of his iconic and groundbreaking performances.
    Lucie Skeaping presents a tribute to conductor and musicologist Christopher Hogwood.

Thank you, Early Music Show team.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

And thank you, ds, for flagging this up..I would probably have missed it otherwise.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      Lucie Skeaping and Sir Nicholas Kenyon introduce some of Christopher Hogwood's brilliant recordings of early music and discuss the extraordinary impact he made. They discuss Hogwood's recorded legacy and play some of his iconic and groundbreaking performances.
      Lucie Skeaping presents a tribute to conductor and musicologist Christopher Hogwood.

Thank you, Early Music Show team.
      Yes, this is an entirely new programme, so well done (though they may use extracts from the earlier interview programme he did with CB).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

2.00 pm today.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          2.00 pm today.
          Thank you ds,will try to hear it.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

I thought it was a wonderful programme. Just a small complaint: it would have been good if the programme had more music that Christopher Hogwood brought back to life, so to speak, including many Handel’s works rather than Haydn and Mozart even though the way AAM played them was revolutionary. I am very glad that the programme was concluded by William Boyce.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

This programme came as a welcome surprise on a long car journey. A graceful tribute I thought.

Comment

• Catherine Bott
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Yes, this is an entirely new programme, so well done (though they may use extracts from the earlier interview programme he did with CB).
                Hello all, I'm so glad that the Early Music Show has done this and shall listen shortly on catch-up. Am not under any circs expecting to hear my voice, but for what it's worth, Classic FM have asked me to write and present a tribute programme to be broadcast on Sunday October 12th at 9pm. There's also a piece on The Arts Desk website.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Catherine Bott View Post
                  There's also a piece on The Arts Desk website.
                  Hello, CB, nice to hear from you. Yes, this piece on the ArtsDesk with some notable contributors :-)

Hope you're well ...
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

I was at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Friday for Bach's B Minor Mass (English Concert).

The performance was dedicated to the memory of Christopher Hogwood.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, I was there too - it was a nice idea, though I wondered why it was the orchestra's manager who made the announcement, rather than Bickett himself.

Last edited by jean; 28-09-14, 22:24.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Yes, I was there too - it was a nice idea, though I wondered why it was the orchestra's manager who made the announcement, rather than Bickett himself.

Possibly because the English Concert's manager was pretty well a founder-member of the Academy of Ancient Music ( as a player) and so had worked for/ with Christopher Hogwood a lot more than had Mr Bicket.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I thought the EMS tribute was pretty much perfect, a fine tribute. Congratulations all round.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                            Possibly because the English Concert's manager was pretty well a founder-member of the Academy of Ancient Music ( as a player) and so had worked for/ with Christopher Hogwood a lot more than had Mr Bicket.
                            Ah, that explains it! I apologise that I didn't recognise him.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              Ah, that explains it! I apologise that I didn't recognise him.
                              oooppss...... I too must now apologise - for my faulty, out-of-date information ( that's what comes of not 'being there'). I have only just found out that the manager of The English Concert to whom I referred ( Felix Warnock, formerly 1st bassoon, AAM) retired in 2011. Apologies to Gijs Elsen, the current COE of The English Concert.

Comment

Working...
                              X