• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Roots of Klezmer: EMS 7 September

Lucie Skeaping explores the origins of Klezmer, a musical tradition of the Ashkenazi Jews of Eastern Europe, with musicologist Dr Alexander Knapp. Played by professional musicians called 'klezmorim', the genre originally consisted largely of dance tunes and instrumental display pieces for weddings and other celebrations. Compared with most other European folk music styles, little is known about the history of klezmer music, but research now traces it back to medieval times through synagogue chant and modes.
    Lucie Skeaping explores the origins of klezmer with musicologist Dr Alexander Knapp.
  • Richard Tarleton

A genre in which Lucie excels, I hope she is not too modest to play some of her own efforts

and Here on disc

Comment

• Black Swan

I am afraid this is a musical genre that I cannot appreciate. I know Lucy excels with her group the Burning Bush so I leave it to those who appreciate it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
        I am afraid this is a musical genre that I cannot appreciate. I know Lucy excels with her group the Burning Bush so I leave it to those who appreciate it.

My grandparents were all Eastern European Jews that emigrated to the States. I heard a lot of klezmer growing up. A little bit goes a long way for me as well.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Terrific programme! Love those wailing clarinets!

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Yes, I agree - she didn't play any of her own stuff though, did she?

I remember hearing The Burning Bush at a late-night concert at the Buxton Festival a few years ago - actually I remember being dragged to my feet by Lucie herself and made to dance, which I'd had no intention of doing.

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

I like klezmer: if it's good enough for Itzhak Perlman ('In the Fiddler's House', EMI), it's good enough for me.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                Lucie Skeaping explores the origins of Klezmer, a musical tradition of the Ashkenazi Jews of Eastern Europe, with musicologist Dr Alexander Knapp. Played by professional musicians called 'klezmorim', the genre originally consisted largely of dance tunes and instrumental display pieces for weddings and other celebrations. Compared with most other European folk music styles, little is known about the history of klezmer music, but research now traces it back to medieval times through synagogue chant and modes.
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gjzxm
                Sounds good - must listen on iplayer. Is that the new Lucie Skeaping in the picture???

OG

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Sounds good - must listen on iplayer. Is that the new Lucie Skeaping in the picture???

OG
                  Oh yes!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Steady on PG!

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ockeghem's Razor View Post
                      I like klezmer: if it's good enough for Itzhak Perlman ('In the Fiddler's House', EMI), it's good enough for me.
                      ........and good enough for Michael Nyman?

Comment

Working...
                      X