• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Rameau with Sophie Yates: EMS 17 August

In the second of our three programmes marking the 250th anniversary of the death of Jean Philippe Rameau, Sophie Yates visits the Royal Academy of Music in London to explore Rameau's mastery of dance music in his works for the theatre. She's joined by the art historian Clare Hornsby, the dancer and choreographer Christopher Tudor and the composer and harpsichordist David Gordon, to examine an engraving which boasts a fascinating genesis and which has an intriguing link to Rameau's opera Castor and Pollux.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Sounds great...I'll be tuning in! And anything Sophie Yates does is worth a listen...I love her Chandos recordings, especially the three discs of the Handel suites.

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Sounds great...I'll be tuning in! And anything Sophie Yates does is worth a listen...I love her Chandos recordings, especially the three discs of the Handel suites.
      I totally agree, I'll be tuning in as well.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Ah, this is Early Music Show. Interesting talks by experts, an unfussy but knowledgeable presenter, and wonderful music. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought it was very considerate of the announcer (Jill Anderson?) to inform us that the programme was recorded before the sad news (in her words) of Frans Bruggen’s death was announced.

[ed.] More performance by Sophie Yates would have been good but maybe that isn’t the point of this programme.
        Last edited by doversoul1; 17-08-14, 20:13.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I quite agree, DS. A fascinating programme with contributions from knowledgeable speakers - I particularly liked having the facility on the R3 webpage of seeing the painting that was being discussed. More interesting programmes like this would be much appreciated from this quarter.

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

For Rameau fans,

Sky Arts 2 12 September, I'm recording

TV guide for Freeview, Sky, Virgin TV, BT TV and Freesat. Find out what to watch on TV today, tonight and beyond on ITV, BBC, Channel 5, Film4, Sky Sports and more.
            - - -

John W

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

The third of Sophie Yates' Rameau recitals is on EMS this Sunday at 2 pm:

Sophie Yates performs a Rameau recital on the Ruckers-Hemsch harpsichord at Hatchlands.

(and a Music Matters on Rameau this Saturday at 12.15).

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

Sophie Yates performs a Rameau recital on the Ruckers-Hemsch harpsichord at Hatchlands.

Thank you, aeolium, I would have missed those!

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

Sophie Yates’s Rameau 2.00pm today

I thought the Rameau Music Matter was very interesting indeed.
                  Tom Service presents a special edition focusing on French composer Jean-Philippe Rameau.

Comment

Working...
                  X