• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

HIP and All That: EMS 10 August

Clare Salaman is fascinated by the continuing debate about authenticity - or Historically Informed Practice (H.I.P) - in Early Music. How can we be sure that performances are historically accurate, and how important is it that they are?

Clare talks to Cat Mackintosh about early developments in performance practice pioneered by David Munrow and his contemporaries, and about Cat's own work with the Academy of Ancient Music and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. The baroque violinist Bjarte Eike tells her about his unique approach with his group Barokksolistene. And Clare talks to David McGuinness about his eclectic and sometimes surprising work with Concerto Caledonia.

Clare Salaman on recent developments in historically-informed performance in early music.

Clare talks to who…?!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Clare talks to who…?!
    Catherine Mackintosh - or are you querying the overfamiliarity?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Catherine Mackintosh - or are you querying the overfamiliarity?

Comment

• Roehre

Whatever, I am looking forward to it

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Cat to her friends - Julian Bream calls her Cat
          ...above all it's Cat's unerring sense of style, and her ability to breathe life even into the simplest little phrase, that makes her contribution to our little group [the Julian Bream Consort] so very special - indeed, so enjoyable

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Hmm, felt a bit like bits of at least two programmes bolted together to me

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Agreed. It was disappointing.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Ockeghem's Razor View Post
                Agreed. It was disappointing.
                I am afraid I have to agree here too

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Well, the heading on the webpage says it all: How to be HIP, in other words, How to be Trendy. Nothing whatsoever to do with HIPP. Not much to do with early music either, come to that. Catherine Mackintosh was completely wasted by the presenter’s staggeringly (!) inane questions. If this is the best Clare Salaman can do, I shall skip Early Music Show presented by her in the future.

And I deeply dislike the Monteverdi project by I Fagiolini mentioned on the programme.
                  Theatrical trailer for John La Bouchardiere's critically acclaimed debut film The Full Monteverdi featuring I Fagiolini and based on their hit live show. Wit...

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    I thought so.

But I loved The Full Monteverdi - how could you not?

(But I mean the stage version, not the film, which I've only seen this trailer for.)

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                      Well, the heading on the webpage says it all: How to be HIP, in other words, How to be Trendy. Nothing whatsoever to do with HIPP. Not much to do with early music either, come to that. Catherine Mackintosh was completely wasted by the presenter’s staggeringly (!) inane questions. If this is the best Clare Salaman can do, I shall skip Early Music Show presented by her in the future.

And I deeply dislike the Monteverdi project by I Fagiolini mentioned on the programme.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4PRW_ashc
                      Bearing in mind her deep involvement with this circle of musicians, it was odd that Salaman's questions to Cat Mackintosh were devoid of so much flesh...I would love to have heard of specific examples from Cat about when she first performed standard repertoire on period instruments, such as with the AAM. I could happily have listened to just that for a good hour. All in all, a bit of a rag-bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X