Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Breakfast?
    Got any Cellotape?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Its not on R3, but if he heads out west, he could pop in here at the weekend....

http://www.earleymusic.co.uk/
      You know full well I cannot take my own medicine - pack it in!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I was thinking more of a timetable of programmes or something. :sad face:

Aren't there regular slots on R3?

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I think the presenter was captain of the UK curling team at the winter olympics.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...dcasts/2014/05

I think the presenter was captain of the UK curling team at the winter olympics.
            I don't remember what that Scottish lass looked like

If the EM Show is only on, on a Sunday, what was that, that we just heard?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

I don't remember what that Scottish lass looked like

If the EM Show is only on, on a Sunday, what was that, that we just heard?
              late early music? like Mozart, apparently.

The BBC seriously messed up with the EMS. cancelling the Saturday slot made a right mess of my drive to the footy of a Saturday. (and i dont mean to trivialise its loss.)

I hope this is on topic, but I suspect not.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Two hours a week in all. Saturday Lunchtime concert and Early Music Show on Sunday (2.00pm). Sad face indeed.

Still, you do have to look through the schedule for music from any other period or of any type, so from that point, early music is better provided. It is a great pity that you missed Catherine Bott who presented Early Music Show, then one each on Saturday and Sunday.

Through the Night has a recorded concert at the start of the programme of often more unusual early music from time to time, and very occasionally, Opera on 3 and Thursday Opera Matinee broadcast Baroque opera.

Evening Live concert seems to have more early music lately but I find that the venue and/or the transmission don’t always bring out the best of the performers. May be we are spoiled by the sound of artificially balanced CDs but I think, by nature, early music does not always sound its best in concert halls, and live broadcast can be rather disappointing. Concerts on Through the Night often sound to me more ‘natural’, may be because these are usually from early music festivals which are held at more suitable venues, or maybe some trickery at work in the recording. I don’t know.

I expect you’ve already found out that early music can be seriously addictive. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  Two hours a week in all. Saturday Lunchtime concert and Early Music Show on Sunday (2.00pm). Sad face indeed.

Still, you do have to look through the schedule for music from any other period or of any type, so from that point, early music is better provided. It is a great pity that you missed Catherine Bott who presented Early Music Show, then one each on Saturday and Sunday.

Through the Night has a recorded concert at the start of the programme of often more unusual early music from time to time, and very occasionally, Opera on 3 and Thursday Opera Matinee broadcast Baroque opera.

Evening Live concert seems to have more early music lately but I find that the venue and/or the transmission don’t always bring out the best of the performers. May be we are spoiled by the sound of artificially balanced CDs but I think, by nature, early music does not always sound its best in concert halls, and live broadcast can be rather disappointing. Concerts on Through the Night often sound to me more ‘natural’, may be because these are usually from early music festivals which are held at more suitable venues, or maybe some trickery at work in the recording. I don’t know.

I expect you’ve already found out that early music can be seriously addictive. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
                  Thank you doversoul. Yes, I have come to early music post-Catherine Bott. I had heard that she was very good. Oh well, you can't win them all. On through the night? I have a habit of playing Hawkwind at that time of the day.

Indeed, it is proving to be addictive and working through your list is costing me a few bob!

My 'Il Giardino Armonico' 11 CD box arrived today and I was knocked sideways by their CD of 17th Century Italian music and 'Theatrical Music and Music of The Theatre'.

I've noticed there are one or two very good Baroque stations on internet radio, via iTunes.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Maybe you might care to try some proper Early Music, Beef. I mean all this Baroque stuff isn't really early at all...only a mere 300 years old. Quite a few of David Munrow's Early Music Consort's recordings are still available. They are fun, though the real Hipsters sniff at them a bit. If you really want to get immersed try Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI's Le Royaume Oublie [accent on the final 'e'] which is more like a book with a few CDs attached. It is wonderful...though maybe best dipped into than played/read in one go.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Maybe you might care to try some proper Early Music, Beef
                      Otherwise known as: ard-core
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        Maybe you might care to try some proper Early Music, Beef. I mean all this Baroque stuff isn't really early at all...only a mere 300 years old. Quite a few of David Munrow's Early Music Consort's recordings are still available. They are fun, though the real Hipsters sniff at them a bit. If you really want to get immersed try Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI's Le Royaume Oublie [accent on the final 'e'] which is more like a book with a few CDs attached. It is wonderful...though maybe best dipped into than played/read in one go.

http://www.amazon.com/Royaume-Croisa.../dp/B002SKMGDY
                        Honey wasn't made for donkeys

Comment

Working...
                        X