• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The latest cultural anniversary?

On television and radio - the 18th century, celebrating its 300th anniversary in the 21st century ...

This might be a genuine cultural contribution to BBC television, if the programming is of a good standard; and, at first glance, it doesn't appear to be an excuse to highlight Radio 3 with a few tasty advertisements on television.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

It doesn't threaten to be three weeks saturation coverage on Radio 3 either. But who knows? - the details are a bit scarce. (Is Suzy Klein really moving into Essential Classics - or do they mean Sarah Walker [or Rob Cowan]?)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Honoured Guest

Suzy Klein may well be presenting the Georgian Pleasures element within Essential Classics so as to maximize continuity with her lead BBC4 role in this season. We will see!

I love the idea of these cross-channel themed seasons (like the ballet mini-season starting tonight on BBC2), and it would have been even better if they'd included some Radio 3 dramas and features.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      On television and radio - the 18th century, celebrating its 300th anniversary in the 21st century ...
      Typical BBC these days! Going for the ClassicFM century. Does nobody at the Beeb realize that the 21st Century is unique in being exactly 700 years since the 14th Century?! Where are all the celebrations for that? (I bet there'll be nothing at the Proms, either!)

(Do I need to add the ?)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        (Do I need to add the ?)
        Oh, yes you do! I was going to leap in to defend the Beeb on that charge!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

- apologies; "myn intente was nat for but to pleye" as one Fourteenth Century writer put it.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            the details are a bit scarce.

Indeed they are, But there are a couple of items that looked to be of interest:

Choral Evensong from Medmenham: I do so admire the monks habits (lost a little on steam radio mayhap)
            Through the Night: A recreation, in real time of a Macaroni's night out: dinner in White's, a fubsy whore, and a phaeton home (north of the river), and all for under a guinea (£1.05),

And being a channel hopping tart (No! wrong - Queen Caroline is so 19th century!) I will be watching Embarrassing Bodies (both editions - the one where William Herschel discovers Uranus and the one on Italian diseases (let's hope that doesn't turn out to be a mere pox vop)). And how about "Burke's Beerage", the hogmany type live show where they all party like its 1789; host Edmund gurns comedically.

Strewth.

With Lucy Worsley prominent in the proceedings, I fear this will turn into one of those "weren't they quaint in them days" fests.
            Last edited by Despina dello Stagno; 09-03-14, 14:02. Reason: speling

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

"exploring the extraordinary transformation that took place across the arts throughout the 18th century."

The trouble is that you could take any 100 year period - 1623 - 1721 perhaps - & talk about an 'extraordinary transformation'.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Yes, and you could take any 99 year period - 1623 - 1721 perhaps - & talk about everything that stayed about the same.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                  Yes, and you could take any 99 year period - 1623 - 1721 perhaps - & talk about everything that stayed about the same.
                  You have to have a 'peg'. They can discuss the extraordinary, almost incomprehensible transformation by which classical music became Classical music.

Comment

Working...
                  X