• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

after WWII .... pictures from the aftermath

here

born in November '45 i have no memories of this time but find these fascinating; mainly because they were the experience of the family i was born to ... and the world around me ...too easily forgotten just how difficult and evil those times were and continued to be in the Cold War period ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    here

born in November '45 i have no memories of this time but find these fascinating; mainly because they were the experience of the family i was born to ... and the world around me ...too easily forgotten just how difficult and evil those times were and continued to be in the Cold War period ...
    Thanks for posting that really fascinating selection. When I came to no. 23 the caption seemed to be not quite accurate: "Munchengladbach Cathedral stands here in the rubble". The name Mönchengladbach was spelt incorrectly and I do know the area a little bit but could not remember Mönchengladbach having a cathedral. It turns out that it is in fact the Hauptkirche (main church) in Rheydt, a Protestant enclave only incorporated into Catholic Mönchengladbach in 1975.

Some Googling reveals that the church has an interesting Art Nouveau interior and a rather magnificent 1902 Sauer organ which survived the bombing.

Info and more pics here

Comment

Working...
    X