X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

In the cinema: The Wolf of Wall Street

Scorcese's latest, starring Leonardo DiCaprio who shares the production credits with Scorcese is a dramatisation of the true life story of a former Wall Street stockbroker who created the penny shares trading scam of 1980s USA.

The film contains a lot of shouting, a lot of (heterosexual) sex, a lot of recreational drug use and its consequences both short- and long-term, and a lot of self-satisfied over-indulgence from the director and his leading man. It is a very long film, and it doesn't have the directorial flair or pace of the essentially similar and highly entertaining 2002 DiCaprio vehicle Catch Me If You Can.

I confess that I came to the film believing erroneously that connections would be made about the role of trader excesses and the 2008 banking crisis. I was wrong and that may have, in part, given rise to my irritation with the protagonist & his excessive world.

Perhaps you feel differently?
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I saw it last weekend in the comfy surroundings of the new Maida Vale 'Everyman' cinema and have to say loved every minute of it! I was expecting a noisy, gaudy account of the rise and fall of a monster, part freakshow, part o.t.t. romp and that's just what it was - toothsome, bravura stuff from diCaprio and the sublimely horrifying Matthew McConnaghey. Some nasty moments, lots of laughs, plenty of acting talent on show. I liked Rob Reiner as the main man's irascible father...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

I thought it was highly entertaining but had no moral centre at all, beyond the very basic "crime doesn't pay [for ever]"

Comment

Working...
      X