X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Donmar 'Coriolanus' in the cinema

On Thursday evening this week I went to the first cinema showing of the Donmar Warehouse, London production of Shakespeare's Coriolanus starring Tom Hiddlestone, directed by Josie Rourke. The set is almost props, just walls covered in projected graffiti and a few chairs. It was a tense, vibrant, nervy production with a tremendous pace & vitality to it be and the scene changes were effected seamlessly. Hiddlestone was magnificently physically impressive in the title role, not entirely shouty, which can become tedious in this role, and very adept in the fight scenes too. He was an impatient even contemptuous listener when being lauded but he seemed almost to shrink from his mother Volumnia's later tirades, brilliantly done by Deborah Findlay, an astonishing performance I thought.

Gore there was a-plenty by the end, but necessarily so, and the crowd scenes, the trubunes, the enemy, all were played well.

I'd not seen Coriolanus in the theatre before, and had only read it on the page where I had difficulty imagining how it would go 'live'. This production certainly provided many answers.

I understand that the Donmar run has been extended and that the cinema presentation will have a good few additional outings. I urge you to see it if you enjoy Shakespeare at white heat and, at around £15/ticket, if you enjoy a bargain.
  • Honoured Guest

Amateur51 attended the Live broadcast to cinemas, arts centres and other venues. Each venue is allowed one recorded Encore screening in the following couple of weeks. Here are more details, including the date and time of the Encore screening at your local venue: http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk...ut5-coriolanus

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
      Amateur51 attended the Live broadcast to cinemas, arts centres and other venues. Each venue is allowed one recorded Encore screening in the following couple of weeks. Here are more details, including the date and time of the Encore screening at your local venue: http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk...ut5-coriolanus
      Many thanks for the link HG - just what was needed

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

am51

Despite your enthusiasm, and that of others, I still often find Shakespeare very hard to take. I even disliked the recent NT Othello in the theatre, and left at half time, which I gather qualifies me as a complete philistine. OTOH I really liked Simon RB in Timon of Athens, and I hope that the King Lear in which he will perform will be equally enjoyable - though enjoyable is perhaps not the word to use to describe KL.

At times I wonder if I really like any Shakespeare at all, and I should just be brave and admit that I don't, as a friend of mine has done. However, sometimes I find that there are performances of plays which I do enjoy.

There are some interesting ideas in Coriolanus, and there is a lot of conviction in the Donmar production, as seen in the cinema. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd suggest getting to know a bit more in advance of going to it. It might just make a bit more sense then. It is very gory - tomato juice everywhere. As with some other Shakespeare plays this one may be based on history, but how accurate the representation of the characters and the events portrayed is, is naturally to be taken with some scepticism.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          am51

Despite your enthusiasm, and that of others, I still often find Shakespeare very hard to take. I even disliked the recent NT Othello in the theatre, and left at half time, which I gather qualifies me as a complete philistine. OTOH I really liked Simon RB in Timon of Athens, and I hope that the King Lear in which he will perform will be equally enjoyable - though enjoyable is perhaps not the word to use to describe KL.

At times I wonder if I really like any Shakespeare at all, and I should just be brave and admit that I don't, as a friend of mine has done. However, sometimes I find that there are performances of plays which I do enjoy.

There are some interesting ideas in Coriolanus, and there is a lot of conviction in the Donmar production, as seen in the cinema. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd suggest getting to know a bit more in advance of going to it. It might just make a bit more sense then. It is very gory - tomato juice everywhere. As with some other Shakespeare plays this one may be based on history, but how accurate the representation of the characters and the events portrayed is, is naturally to be taken with some scepticism.
          I take your point Dave2002 but I would urge you to keep trying. A play like Coriolanus, if directed and played by intelligent people alive to the play's resonance in today's world, is rich in many meanings, many aspects of human nature good and bad. Each play has the potential to reveal new things to us, about ourselves, about each other.

The language can certainly be an initial barrier but a couple of readings with the footnotes will get you through that barrier. Effort put in = delight/insight received

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Am51

Do i detect that you studied arts subjects, such as English Lit?

I do keep trying, but sometimes it feels like bashng my head against a brick wall. If I saw someone bashing their head agsinst a wall I think I'd advise them to stop.

Mind you, the same can be said for listening to some music, though for no very obvious reason I keep trying to listen to "new" things - new to me at any rate. It isn't always very rewarding..

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Am51

Do i detect that you studied arts subjects, such as English Lit?
              No my tertiary education was scientific as were my 'A' levels - but my interests have always tended towards the arts.

I think that with Shakespeare, as with Schoenberg, there is a natural tendency to believe that 'the language' is a barrier. And as someone has said sagely on the forum's pages before, you have to keep trying until your mind establishes a hook to hang on to. Once you've got that, and you've got the story outline, then you're away. As with music then so with Shakespeare - rather than looking at the score/text (unless you're skilled in that direction) see a performance 'live' or on DVD - you'll sonn be carried away I'm sure.

A whole treasury of delights and insights await your exploration

Blimey it can't be that difficult if I can do it

Comment

Working...
              X