• Honoured Guest
    • Sep 2024

Hayley Cropper RIP

She loved a good tune.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Daily Mail reports:

The theme tune to Coronation Street had never sounded so funereal, like the type of mournful jazz lament traditionally found during a procession in New Orleans. It announced that Hayley Cropper (nee Harold Patterson) was departing, escaping her cancer by drinking a frothy cocktail of drugs - the climax to a storyline supported by an organisation advocating the controversial issue of terminally ill patients' right to die.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
      She loved a good tune.
      Didn't see it but is that slightly odd remark a reference to the fact that Vaughan Williams's 'Lark Ascending' was, I gather from a relative, in at the kill ...? Which will no doubt send it soaring up the CFM / BBC Breakfast charts. Though good on Corrie for having some decent music. (I've seen a couple of scenes in the past where Roy's had some Mahler going in their flat above 'Roy's Rolls' )
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Most moving Corrie scene since Hilda opened the parcel of Stan's effects she brought home from the hospital ?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Most moving Corrie scene since Hilda opened the parcel of Stan's effects she brought home from the hospital ?
          Or the sobering moment of Martha Longhurst's death in the Snug? Ena Sharples loved a good tune too!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

I haven't watched for a while, but I bet there'll be trouble at the funeral!

I'm told that the lovely Todd is now back from London's fleshpots as an evil character, thus following the rule that the gays have to die or commit terrible deeds.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Or the sobering moment of Martha Longhurst's death in the Snug? Ena Sharples loved a good tune too!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQcf-hv2Tw

I remember it well!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Oh, no!!! I couldn't bear to watch it again! As I remember, there was a crowd of regulars laughing and singing out at the bar when suddenly ... and all fell silent.

Comment

Working...
                X