X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Jun 2024

Daumier and his times

Saw the Daumier show at the RA today and enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to. The cartoons are in the Hogarthian vein, what pictorial satirist hasn't used Gargantua to portray greed?!, and the paintings were a combination of more or less precise salon paintings and the curly-whirly blurred atmospheric creations which are harder to appreciate but quite moving in their choice of subject. The point was made that they prefigured impressionism, mm, maybe. Van Gogh, whose early dark paintings are not totally dissimilar, was a fan apparently.

The cartoons were on the usual topics, mocking politicians etc. but one, without any explanatory text, showed "Paris (man) abducting Helen ( woman, face wouldn't have launched a coracle)" with what may well be Pyramids and Temples in the background. This could represent Napoleon and his lot ferrying large quantities of ancient Egyptian booty back to Paris and then the Louvre. Not that we can criticise as we have a large number of major Spanish paintings in Aspley House, booty from the Spanish looted by Joseph Bonaparte, the brother, and liberated from him by the Duke of Wellington. At least we paid somebody for the Elgin Marbles.

The other thing was the historical context which included Prussia's invasion of Austria in 1866 and the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, the latter leading to the Siege of Paris ending when the city fell on the 28th of January 1871. This was fairly recent history in 1914 and relevant to decisions made at the time, especially in view of the Schlieffen Plan ( I've just looked it up!) which " was the German General Staff's early-20th-century overall strategic plan for victory in a possible future war in which the German Empire might find itself fighting on two fronts: France to the west and Russia to the east. (wiki)".
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
    Saw the Daumier show at the RA today and enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.
    I enjoy this one:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Love Daumier.

I have a 1910 reprint of a Daumier lithograph hanging by the piano, from his 'Croquis Musicaux'

A lovely gift, it's always amused me as an approximate reflection of my own experiences as an occasional instrumentalist in theatrical performances...

Thanks for letting me know about this RA exhibition - it had passed me by
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 20-01-14, 21:12.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

I knew very little of Daumier's work before going to this exhibition, and what struck me most was his extraordinary range, from the political satires through portraits, scenes of poverty, circus life and then three (I think) paintings of a faceless man climbing up/down a rope, which has certainly stayed with me. Well worth catching if you can

Wonderful example, Cali

Comment

Working...
        X