Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Does anyone know where the additional bandwidth is coming from? Is it new or are existing channels going to be squeezed (or both)?

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      its really 2 channels, plus the news in HD.
      Who on earth need the news in HD? Dear god in heaven, what an awful thought.......
      Well, no it is five channels. Just because you only want to watch two of them doesn't mean the others don't exist.

And I like watching the news in HD.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        Well, no it is five channels. Just because you only want to watch two of them doesn't mean the others don't exist.

And I like watching the news in HD.
        no its 2 plus news.
        Cebeebies and CBBC finish , then 3 and 4 take over. That is 2 channels , to all intents and purposes.

Well it sounds like you already can watch news in HD, so now you can watch it on two platforms in gory HD.

Still , if you wish to be mind controlled in HD, that is your choice, just like voting in an election when your vote can have no possible effect.
        Last edited by teamsaint; 09-12-13, 19:13.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

This is getting very silly. Pee is, for once, quite right. Just because somebody does not like, or want to watch, the BBC News 24 channel, that does not mean it does not exist as a television channel.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            This is getting very silly. Pee is, for once, quite right. Just because somebody does not like, or want to watch, the BBC News 24 channel, that does not mean it does not exist as a television channel.
            I was suggesting, if anything, that it is a waste of resources. Opportunity cost and all that.

I actually don't see the benefit of HD for news, in comparison to , say, Formula one, footy, or the proms. I accept that its just a point of view, although an exceptionally well founded one.

Just to clarify, am I right about CBBC , ceebeebies, 3 and 4 actually being 2 channels with time demarcated programming?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
              • Mar 2007

Just to clarify, am I right about CBBC , ceebeebies, 3 and 4 actually being 2 channels with time demarcated programming?
              Yes

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I was suggesting, if anything, that it is a waste of resources. Opportunity cost and all that.

I actually don't see the benefit of HD for news, in comparison to , say, Formula one, footy, or the proms. I accept that its just a point of view, although an exceptionally well founded one.

Oh yes the two pairs share the same bandwidth, though their programming differs somewhat, CBeebies being on a somewhat higher intellectual plane than BBC3.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                  Does anyone know where the additional bandwidth is coming from? Is it new or are existing channels going to be squeezed (or both)?
                  On the Winter Hill transmitter, for example, the BBC4 / Cbeebies channel is using an additional multiplex according to this. The BBC3 / CBBC channel uses the existing HD multiplex.

(Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the channel arrangement.)

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Oh yes the two pairs share the same bandwidth, though their programming differs somewhat, CBeebies being on a somewhat higher intellectual plane than BBC3.
                    LOL is the only possible response. Thanks for clarifying that.

Edit: and I agree with the OP in that it would indeed be good to have some quality music and arts programming to enjoy in HD.
                    If you have an HD telly , that is.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 09-12-13, 19:38.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I'll merge this with the existing thread on the topic....
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Hmmm, merged,but not in HD though.......

Comment

• Gordon
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                          This is an OfCom fudge and has the air of Greeks bearing gifts.

The multiplexes to carry these services are placed in the 600 MHz band of the UHF, currently empty after DSO. They are temporary and subject to short licences.

Having already taken away the 800 MHz band and given it to 4G mobile services now under construction, current spectrum policy will almost certainly move DTT OUT of its present channels in the 700 MHz band of the UHF by about 2018 [a decision to be taken in about 2015] as a result of a putative demand for even more mobile services and international moves to standardise mobile spectrum. Those areas served by DTT multipexes in the 700 MHz band channels will then have to move somewhere else, possibly/probably the 600 MHz. Yet more disruption to consumers.

If you do the sums on the number of 8 MHz channels available after this is done there are far fewer for DTT. That means something has to give and one way to do that is to move everyone to a receiver that will do MPEG4 video and DVB-T2 transmission - this reduces the data rate per TV channel and also increases the usable bandwidth available from 8 MHz. Another way of course is to get rid of all those ridiculous DTT channels that no one watches.

Many people only a few years ago bought new teles [and perhaps aerials] which were NOT so equipped. Most modern ones for sale now are equipped. So how long will it take to flush out those relatvely new TVs and PVRs so that we ALL have new ones? Some people whose local transmitters were in 700 MHz will have to have new aerials as will everyone in thsoe regions. Some will have to point to some other transmitters too. Any such transition will take time and will require a degree of simulcasting to keep the old services up AND the new services in place while every catch up. Where will THAT spectrum come from?

The iniquity of all this is not so much what it is but its stealth. All this is subject to an OfCom consultation that closes very soon but how many viewers and listeners know about it let alone respond?
                          Last edited by Gordon; 09-12-13, 20:54.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Hiya, teamsaint!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

You always make yourself crystal clear without the need for technical jiggerypokery, my dear ts
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Gordon
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                So where is that, pray!

Comment

Working...
                                X