• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Peter Grimes on the beach at Aldeburgh on DVD

Let forth Volpone's cry of joy, 'Good morrow to the day' when my first email advised that "Peter Grimes on the beach at Aldeburgh" was released on DVD, 25 November; ARTHAUS 102179. Order placed and confirmed.
  • amateur51

I look forward to hearing what you think of it in due course, Stanley

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
      Let forth Volpone's cry of joy, 'Good morrow to the day' when my first email advised that "Peter Grimes on the beach at Aldeburgh" was released on DVD, 25 November; ARTHAUS 102179. Order placed and confirmed.
      - but remember that ARTHAUS will want some of your gold.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

It might be worth a trip to Malton Palace Cinema tomorrow evening to see it on the big screen.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Viewed the DVD this afternoon and the remastered print is a stunning achievement in image and sound. Surprised, too, to discover an English subtitles option as the Montagu Slater libretto is full of riches. Overall, the enunciation is first class but the chorus work is enhanced by subtitles so that we can savour, say, "And the spring tides eats the land again" for its efficacy.

The DVD also has a bonus track with a witty reenactment time lapse in the construction of the setting; the sea and the sky landscape always omnipresent. Perhaps a slight sense of disappoinment that the cameras didn't catch the changover from daylight to twlight when the added lighting adds a sense of texture to the surroundings. I was thinking of last year's York Mystery Plays, set in the open air, where this transition is a thing of beauty in itself.

I particularly warmed to the performances of Giselle Allen (Ellen Orford), David Kempster (Balstrode) and Gaynor Keeble (Auntie). Most disappointed by Alan Oke's Grimes. He lacked the weight and anger of the man. "The unearthly torment" must be seen in his outburst, "Now the Great Bear and Pleiades..." before the terrors and tragedy to follow.

A bit iffy, too, about the spruce and clean costumes and the washing line looked Persil white, rather than well- worn clothing.

However, this remains a unique achievement of outstanding technical and performance standard and regular visitors to Aldeburgh will instantly empathise with the setting and spectacular views; new viewers will be quick to redress the omission.and, of course, auld acquaintance enhances Britten's monumental achievement.

Comment

Working...
            X