X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

An adventure in space and time

David Bradley was excellent as William Hartnell's Doctor in this very good Gatis drama about the first Doctor on Beeb 2 last night. I always think Bradley is good value - he looks great on the screen. It shows how close Dr Who was to disappearing down the plughole almost before the word go. Brian Cox also put in a fine over-the-top performance.
  • Anna

Absolutely brilliant programme, magical, I was entranced (did I say I was a Dr. Who fan?)
    Superbly written and acted. I then watched the first episde on BBC3, how scarey was that? Dr. Who should be dark and grumpy, sensitive portrayal of Wm. Hartnell I thought.
    Onwards and upwards tomorrow, the new Dr. Capaldi!!
    Actually, one of my faves Drs. was Ecclestone and - bring back Rose Tyler!! (God, that Pond creature was awful!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

It was superb - the "dropped" first edition is available: doors swinging open, actors tripping over cables and all. But even there, there is a sense of something quite different; a mixture of the sinister and the heroic that has been the template for the show at its best ever since. It's always a surprise to be told/reminded that Hartnell was only in his mid-fifties when he assumed the role. Sadly, his health deteriorated rapidly after he gave up the role - and he was conned into parting with many of his possessions (including the doctor's ring, which he was given as a souvenir) by bogus "insurance inspectors" who visited when he wife was out. A very sad end to a life that brought so much excellent entertainment (before 1963, too) to so many people.

Eccleston was excellent in the role - and Rose is back in tomorrow's "special".
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Having been out yesterday, I've just watched An Adventure in Space and Time. It was excellent. Good acting, good script, and amazing make-up - how like their originals the actors and actresses looked.

I'm looking forward to the new episode tomorrow, but it'll be Sunday before I see it.

(Like Anna, I'm not a fan... )

Edit: Did we ever hear more of Dr Who's granddaughter? I should have thought that would have been a storyline worth following up.
        Last edited by mangerton; 22-11-13, 23:58.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          Did we ever hear more of Dr Who's granddaughter? I should have thought that would have been a storyline worth following up.
          Little hints in the TV series since 1964 - and when the Face of Bo hinted that the Doctor wasn't the last surviving Time Lord, I did hope that Susan would reappear, rather than the Master (always too conventional a nemesis for the Doctor in the '70s & '80s - but John Simm and RTD reinvented the character so well). She may yet return.

In the novels written during the TV "interregnum" years, Susan does appear - in one, David (the husband that her grandfather left her with) is an old man, whilst she, of course, still looks like a teenager. Very much "a storyline worth following up"!

Comment

• Anna

This is fun to play with. The BBC Dr. Who Radio-Phon-A-Tron. Place your cursor on the sound effects and make up your own soundtrack! http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/class...honatron.shtml

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

much enjoyed the Culture Show on Dr Who as well as the Gatis drama .... strange had not realised just how much Whoverism i had absorbed over the years
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                This is fun to play with. The BBC Dr. Who Radio-Phon-A-Tron. Place your cursor on the sound effects and make up your own soundtrack! http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/class...honatron.shtml
                Thanks for that Anna - I like diddly dum!
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-11-13, 12:19. Reason: bibble's good too...actually I like it all!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Absolutely brilliant programme, magical, I was entranced
                  Got it recorded for watching this weekend, looking forward even more now

Eccleston
                  Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Eccleston
                  He was in a superior cosmos to all the others. The only one I've really believed in. Just don't like the pop-eyed, gurning whimsical Tennant/Smith approach (ditto some of the earlier ones, e.g. bloke with the long scarf and big hat, what was his name?).

I have an enormous lingering affection for Jon Pertwee. Utterly, lithpingly abthurd.... but hilarious
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Got it recorded for watching this weekend, looking forward even more now
                    Watch out for the fornicator.

bloke with the long scarf and big hat, what was his name?
                    Paddington Bear?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Watch out for the fornicator
                      Noted. A rule for life there, ferns

Paddington Bear?

No.

Baker.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tevot
                        • Nov 2010

Hello there,

I really enjoyed AAISAT. Funny and moving by turns - poignant and evocative. Hartnell's / The Doctor's farewell to Susan was touching... and it was great at the end to see the speech done by Hartnell himself. In the main the show's received good reviews - e.g.

Michael Hogan reviews Mark Gatiss's retelling of the making of the first series of Doctor Who, starring David Bradley as William Hartnell

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• Anna

After the drama broadcast, on the red button, was a mini-episode where Paul McGann turned into John Hurt, but who was the girl in it? I think tonight's Dr. Who may become confusing ......

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

I've got a lot to do today. I sat down here with a quick cup of coffee, clicked on that link, and before I knew it half an hour had passed.

Still, I've got some great ringtones.

fhg, thanks for the info about Susan.

Edit: I've just seen the Google home page. Great Dr Who game, and another 15 mins down the drain.
                            Last edited by mangerton; 23-11-13, 14:06.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              [COLOR="#0000FF"][COLOR="#0000FF"] He was in a superior cosmos to all the others. The only one I've really believed in. COLOR]
                              Dr. Who revived by Russell T. Davies (Welsh), filmed in Wales (evidently worth £150b to the Welsh Economy) and, Who could forget:

Are you my Mummy?
                              <cushion hide behind emoticon>

You really do have the Welsh to thank for this ....

Edit: I am just over excited, there'll be tears before bedtime.

Comment

Working...
                              X