• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    but so much McCartney nonsense zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    There was much less of that than some of us feared. If you were actually here, you barely noticed.

(Sorry, Padraig I did know about Derry, and that we were European Capital of Culture. The last one of those from these islands was Cork in 2005, and before that Glasgow and Dublin in the 1990s.

I would not have mentioned Liverpool at all only that Mr GG made the comparison first.)

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      There was much less of that than some of us feared. If you were actually here, you barely noticed.
      One has to be grateful for small mercies
      Though having been working in Porto this year it's striking what they did with it (built a tram system and an extraordinary concert hall / arts centre) making it a place that is a real hub for culture even in the current desperate financial situation.

I do hope the Hull thing works though

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

I'll say what I was going to say before you edited out your meaning, jean: But me no buts. Derry/Londonderry is the first UK City of Culture; Hull will be the second. You're such a stickler yourself, so you will appreciate my exasperation.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

The problem with having a City of Culture is that it implies that all the other cities don't have any, whereas a Capital of Culture allows other cities (or towns, even) have some culture but the capital is preeminent among them (for that year, anyway)

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Is there a shared language as regards the word "Culture" ?
            I'm reminded of the National Plan for Music Education that assumes that we all mean the same thing when we use the word MUSIC

We don't

Comment

Working...
            X