X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Hull, City of Culture

Hull tends to get mocked. I spent several months in the city in 1972 doing teaching practice (pre-Humber Bridge). I had a great time there and to mark Hull's nomination as UK City Of Culture 2017 I have just crept upstairs and dug out the programmes for three cultural events I remember enjoying during my short stay there:

Hull Chamber Music Club:
    The Bartók String Quartet: Mozart, Beethoven and Bartók in a lecture hall at the University

Peter Goodman ("City Organist"): A varied programme in the splendid City Hall, including Bach, Mozart, Couperin and Messiaen. "Admission Ten New Pence, (at the door)".

The University Choir and English Sinfonia. Brahms Requiem, Haydn Te Deum, City Hall. Soloists, Eileen Poulter and John Carol Case (died this year aged 89).

I also have fond memories of t'Gainsborough, the largest Fish and Chip Shop in the known universe. I don't know if it still exists.

I wish them well.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

I have Hull connections. The Hull Philharmonic are always worth checking out. David Pyatt plays Strauss alongside Bruckner 7 a week on Saturday.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I believe Philip Larkin didn't like it much, but most places have more going on than the rest of the country is aware of.

I think I may have been there many years ago, once, to see a university friend.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

I've never been there but I remember my grandfather watching their two rugby league sides, Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers, knocking seven bells out of each other during the 70s.

There was a lot of play made of Larkin in one of the news reports but I prefer the work of that earlier Hull luminary (and sometime MP) Marvell, to whose memory the constituents of Hull raised a monument (in London, where Marvell died) with an impressive tribute: "Near this place lyeth the body of Andrew Marvell, Esq., a man so endowed by Nature, so improved by Education, Study and Travel, so consummated by Experience, that, joining the peculiar graces of Wit and Learning, with a singular penetration and strength of judgment; and exercising these in the whole course of his life, with an unutterable steadiness in the ways of Virtue, he became the ornament and example of his age, beloved by good men, feared by bad, admired by all, though imitated by few; and scarce paralleled by any."

I was amused by the comment of the council leader of Swansea City (one of the rivals that Hull beat to the award): "If you live in Hull, you've got to have something to look forward to, I suppose." No sour grapes there, then.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

There is a certain affection in Larkin's work for the city of Hull and its "sudden elegancies". Mary is right though that quite a lot goes on. For us Radio 3 types there is a fair bit of music around the University and some interesting lectures open to all.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Apparently there is no money/grant for this project....Hull will have to find (said to be £15 million) needed themselves from sponsorship....

....In 90's Hull had a very good Modern Art Gallery sponsored by a local entrepreneur.... and De Monford Uni which is linked to Leicester Uni...
            bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              and De Monford Uni which is linked to Leicester Uni...
              De Montfort University isn't "linked" to the University of Leicester at all
              and isn't in Hull but Leicester (and Leicester university doesn't have a music department )
              but does have the rather excellent MTI (Music, Technology & innovation) research centre

But the Gallery in Hull is (was ? not been for a few years) very good indeed

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

I had no idea that Andrew Marvell lived in Hull. I've learnt something already!

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  I had no idea that Andrew Marvell lived in Hull. I've learnt something already!
                  Wasn't Marvell MP for Hull and also a protoge of Cromwell's General Monck who has enough of war and went home to Yorkshire? He's buried in St Giles in the Fields in London.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                    Wasn't Marvell MP for Hull and also a protoge of Cromwell's General Monck who has enough of war and went home to Yorkshire? He's buried in St Giles in the Fields in London.
                    Yes, MP for 20 years. Some Hull-related info about him here.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      De Montfort University isn't "linked" to the University of Leicester at all
                      and isn't in Hull but Leicester (and Leicester university doesn't have a music department )
                      but does have the rather excellent MTI (Music, Technology & innovation) research centre
                      Sorry mucked up original post....There's some sort of link between Leicester/De Montford and Hull (or did have a link)....maybe it has to do with Visual Arts....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        Sorry mucked up original post....There's some sort of link between Leicester/De Montford and Hull (or did have a link)....maybe it has to do with Visual Arts....
                        Yes, this fascinating link has to do with metalsmithing and jewellery, with a Senior Lecturer in the School of Design at De Montfort University, Leicester named Mr Ed Hull.

I foresee Free Thinking in Hull in 2017.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post

....indeed....

....anyway fascinate yourself way back behind....Beatrice.....
                          Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-11-13, 13:59. Reason: sarcasm
                          bong ching

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

The Hull Philharmonic is indeed worth checking out. Conducted by Andrew Penny and consisting mainly of players from the Hull and East Riding Music Services, they give relatively few concerts, but are ambitious in their programming.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                              Let's hope so - I have been to the event at the SageGateshead for the last two years, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do wonder whether, in the current financial and cultural climate, the whole R3 Caravan will still be traipsing round the country for Freethinking in the future though.

OG

Oh, and P.S., well done Hull!

Comment

Working...
                              X