X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Britten: Solo Cello Suites

Sky Arts 2 is broadcasting complete performances of all three solo cello suites of Benjamin Britten this week, as performed by Jamie Walton. Anyone who does not know these profound and virtuosic works (dedicated to Rostropovich) should investigate this, as should all Britten lovers. The programme includes interviews and features on the composition and reception of the works. First showing today.
  • VodkaDilc

It was on at the weekend, as Richard Tarleton kindly told us - message 59:

General topics, The Listening Service, Music Matters, concert-going/listening, news

I have recorded it and intend to watch it when I have a spare hour or two.

On another topic, I've just had an email from an old school friend who now lives in France to tell me that Saint Nicolas is on R3 on Sunday. We sang it in the mid-60s in the Sheldonian. The current Britten bug really seems to be international. The Suffolk forces being used sound like the sort BB would have approved of.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Superb performances by Walton. He has clearly captured the essence of this wide ranging but elusive music, letting it seep in to every pore. Atmospherically recorded and filmed in a frostbound Blythburgh church. Let's hope he sets down his interpretations on CD before long.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Superb performances by Walton. He has clearly captured the essence of this wide ranging but elusive music, letting it seep in to every pore. Atmospherically recorded and filmed in a frostbound Blythburgh church. Let's hope he sets down his interpretations on CD before long.
        Looks as if he already has. What an engaging character, as well as fine cellist - I shall be buying this esp as my MR recording only covers the first two (and the earlier cello sonata).

Just finished watching the whole programme. What a treat. I've learnt why my Rostropovich recording only covers the first two....

I trust they all repaired over the road to the White Hart for a few pints of Adnams when they'd finished recording.
        Last edited by Guest; 19-11-13, 18:11.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          I've learnt why my Rostropovich recording only covers the first two....
          Please share RT. I know the first two suites were out on LP well before the 3rd was written, but I've often wonder why Rostropovich never - AFAIK - recorded the 3rd. Didn't he like it? Or perhaps it was too 'deathly'?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            Please share RT. I know the first two suites were out on LP well before the 3rd was written, but I've often wonder why Rostropovich never - AFAIK - recorded the 3rd. Didn't he like it? Or perhaps it was too 'deathly'?
            The gist of it was, too much about death and close to BB's death that, acc. to Jamie Walton, Rostropovich probably couldn't face it or get round to playing it after BB's death. So yes your second reason. Not that he didn't like it.

Jamie Walton's comments, before each performance, on technical aspects of playing them were fascinating - the sustained D in the Bordone of 1, how difficult 2 is to memorise, how it was the last one he came to (and 3 the first, I think he said - in the order 3-1-2) etc.
            Last edited by Guest; 19-11-13, 21:47.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

There is a super (IMO) recording of all three by Tim Hugh on Naxos.
              A real shame,but understandable,especially with all it's Russian references,that Rostropovich didn't set the third down on record.
              That Lento Solenne at the end is a harrowing listen for me (and many others I would think),I can't imagine how emotionally demanding MR must have found it.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Looks as if he already has.
                Indeed and an excellent review from Geoffrey Norris in the Telegraph to boot.

For those who missed this recital, a repeat broadcast is scheduled for this Saturday at 2pm on Sky Arts 2. Walton gives insightful introductions to all three works, as well as illustrating some of the technical challenges for the cellist. Beautifully filmed by the director Paul Joyce.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The CD arrived today - just given it a spin. Marvellous stuff. It was recorded in the Britten Studio, Snape Maltings, rather than Blythburgh Church where the TV prog was made. I knew 1&2 from the MR recording but the 3rd new to me until the other day, a great discovery for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X