• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Stephen Fry: Out There

Did anyone else see part one?

Stephen discovers what it means to be gay in Uganda, where it may become a capital crime.

I found some of it very moving and enlightening.
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Did anyone else see part one?

Stephen discovers what it means to be gay in Uganda, where it may become a capital crime.

I found some of it very moving and enlightening.
    Yes I did, and I too was moved and enlightened by it.

Next week he's going to Russia among other places, which links nicely with a previous discussion.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Didn't get the chance to see this on Monday, so thanks for the link and the recommendation, ams and jean.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Yes I did, and I too was moved and enlightened by it.

Next week he's going to Russia among other places, which links nicely with a previous discussion.
        Perhaps worth noting that Part II - including the Russian footage - is, in fact, being transmitted tonight (Wed, 16 Oct) on BBC 2, 21.00-22.00 hrs. A repeat showing on BBC 2, 17 Oct, at 23.20hrs.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
          Perhaps worth noting that Part II - including the Russian footage - is, in fact, being transmitted tonight (Wed, 16 Oct) on BBC 2, 21.00-22.00 hrs. A repeat showing on BBC 2, 17 Oct, at 23.20hrs.
          Duly marked up for viewing tonight, thanks!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            Many thanks for this update Stanley - good job you're alert

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Yes an excellent programme, Stephen in aptly lowkey intimate mode with those who have suffered, but with The Ugandan Dignitary.... sharply aimed provocation... "I will arrest you!!"

Exactly. And Russia too. Tonight could be hard to watch.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

I was watching Bear Grylls over on the Discovery Channel while Fry was on his soap box. (I now know what to do the next time I am being stalked by Coyotes. )

And from this review it doesn't sound as though I missed much.....

Stephen Fry's documentary on homophobia explored an important topic, but Fry found himself too easily drawn into hectoring
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  I was watching Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel. I now know what to do the next time I am being stalked by Coyotes.
                  Probably the most pointless post ever.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Probably the most pointless post ever.
                    oh I don't know. At least we can warn the coyotes not to waste their time on the elusive mr P, since he will be impossible to catch. They will no doubt be grateful.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 16-10-13, 20:53.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      oh I don't know. At least we can war the coyotes not to waste their time on the elusive mr P, since he will be impossible to catch. They will no doubt be grateful.
                      Are passive aggressive homophobes their usual diet ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Are passive aggressive homophobes their usual diet ?

watch the Bear next week to find out........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Karafan
                          • Nov 2010

The abject nonsense spouted by the Ugandan Minister for "Ethics and Integrity" defied all belief, not to mention the hysterical views of the loony Pastor.

Of course, we had a diluted version of the same piffle here with Section 28 - once again the notion that one can promote, and recruit to, the gay 'cause' and that this is to be feared by all right-thinking hetereosexuals. It is the flat earth society all over again!
                          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                            The abject nonsense spouted by the Ugandan Minister for "Ethics and Integrity" defied all belief, not to mention the hysterical views of the loony Pastor.

Of course, we had a diluted version of the same piffle here with Section 28 - once again the notion that one can promote, and recruit to, the gay 'cause' and that this is to be feared by all right-thinking hetereosexuals. It is the flat earth society all over again!
                            It was a surprising omission when he was discussing the promotion of homosexuality that he did not mention Section 28 which was just as irrational and was immensely damaging . Teachers were afraid of challenging homophobia and homophobic bullying in schools as a direct result even though it did not technically apply to schools .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              I was watching Bear Grylls over on the Discovery Channel while Fry was on his soap box. (I now know what to do the next time I am being stalked by Coyotes. )

And from this review it doesn't sound as though I missed much.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...wo-review.html

Comment

Working...
                              X