X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Requiem for Detroit?

I notice that Beeb 4 are re-showing Julian Temple's rather excellent documentary about the birth, death and new stirrings of this great city, once termed the 'Jewel in the crown' of the US. The explorations inside the decaying, once wonderful structures of the post-industrial giant could come from 'Blade Runner'. The very thing that made it great made it poor - they built great freeways in the City to celebrate the motor miracle so workers moved their families out of the city to the suburbs and left an empty vessel. And of course there's some crackin' tunes in there too.
    A look at post-industrial Detroit and its burgeoning urban agricultural movement.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I notice that Beeb 4 are re-showing Julian Temple's rather excellent documentary about the birth, death and new stirrings of this great city, once termed the 'Jewel in the crown' of the US. The explorations inside the decaying, once wonderful structures of the post-industrial giant could come from 'Blade Runner'. The very thing that made it great made it poor - they built great freeways in the City to celebrate the motor miracle so workers moved their families out of the city to the suburbs and left an empty vessel. And of course there's some crackin' tunes in there too.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkm3y
    Yes, noticed that last week, it's set to record. Supposed to be a great film, and the Detroit phenomenon I find fascinating.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

excellent heads up, JC.

Might actually turn the telly on for that.
      Looks terrific.

If they can't do a decent soundtrack to that, they may as well give up.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Thanks for the heads-up, John.

However there is a pile-up of watchable programmes tonight and we have neighbours coming round for dinner.

I want to record What Remains and also Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Mrs Flay will want to record Vera. I can only record two.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Thanks for the heads-up, John.

However there is a pile-up of watchable programmes tonight and we have neighbours coming round for dinner.

I want to record What Remains and also Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Mrs Flay will want to record Vera. I can only record two.
          I agree, there are 5 watchable things on as of 9pm.

My suggestion is to record TTSS as that might not be on catch up. You can grab What Remains and the Detroit prog on iPlayer!

The Schama documentary on the Jews repeats during the week one evening after Newsnight.

I'll be recording Vera as well
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Yes I came to the same conclusion, Calibs, and the recorder is duly set! Oh and thanks to you too for your heads-up on What Remains.

However I am still waiting to see a detective series that does not involve a murder. Surely there must be other crimes that can be made interesting?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              However I am still waiting to see a detective series that does not involve a murder. Surely there must be other crimes that can be made interesting?
              Most of the Sherlock Holmes stories don't involve murders (nor does The Moonstone) - but Agatha Christie discovered that novels (as opposed to short stories) that didn't have a murder don't sell nearly as well as those that do. A six-week series trying to track down a theft doesn't have the appeal. What Remains might turn out not to involve a murder.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                What Remains might turn out not to involve a murder.
                That's what I've said all along ..... (great minds, etc.!)
                I saw the Detroit programme when it was first broadcast, well worth watching if my memory serves me right.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the "Detroit" heads up and recommendation. I have this 9 pm dilemma too. I seefrom the tv guide in my paper it's to be repeated at midnight on Tuesday - ie very early on Wednesday.

As an aside i also noticed the 1965 "Ipcress File" is on bbc4 at 10 pm on Thursday.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    As an aside i also noticed the 1965 "Ipcress File" is on bbc4 at 10 pm on Thursday.
                    Oh, hadn't seen that - dimly remember seeing it once - probably won't bear repeating!! I'm not into all this old film nostalgia - unless it's from the 30s or 40s - black & white classics are so romantic.
                    As to tonight, I'll watch What Remains, Vera I thought is a bit Midsomer Murders with a Geordie accent and far too long at two hours
                    Did anyone see the first episode of The Guilty? Broadchurch rip-off, but I do like Tasmin Greig

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Did anyone see the first episode of The Guilty? Broadchurch rip-off, but I do like Tasmin Greig
                      I recorded it and got round to watching it this evening. Rather bitty, and confusing in the way it went back and forward five years. However, I shall stick with it, as I think it will improve now that there is an investigation in "real" time.

I didn't watch Broadchurch, so can't compareit , but the DVD is coming out in November, so I'll try to get it then, as I've heard a lot of favourable comment.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkm3y
                        Says it's not currently available on iPlayer. How do we know if it becomes available?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Says it's not currently available on iPlayer. How do we know if it becomes available?
                          Radio times !!

or the Teamsaint PM system!!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Radio times !!

or the Teamsaint PM system!!
                            Very helpful. I'll just go past the spice seller, chuck a left at the mosque and pop in and buy a copy of the Radio Times, a packet of Walkers cheese and onion crisps and a Twirl.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

I grew up in Detroit, and went to Medical School there. I've lived in Chicago for 30 years. I've just been invited back to my school to give a lecture. Most of my colleagues would dread having to travel there for something like this, but I'm thrilled. It will always be home, post nuclear landscape notwithstanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X